NewsActivist.com Terms of Service
Thank you for using NewsActivist.com.
There is no cost to you, your students, or your institution to use this site at this time, although we ask teachers and students to provide feedback so we can see how we can continue to make this site as useful as possible.
We are so happy to have you here with us, and look forward to seeing how the site supports you and your students!
By accessing the NewsActivist.com website ("Site") or using the services offered by NewsActivist.com ("Services") you agree and acknowledge to be bound by these Terms of Service ("Terms"). If you do not agree to these Terms, please do not access the Site or use the Services. NewsActivist.com reserves the right to change these Terms at any time. We recommend that you periodically check this Site for changes.
The NewsActivist administrative team reserves the right to remove material deemed inappropriate for the site's overall mission and purpose. Posts and comments will be removed and emailed for editing to the author of the post or comment, if, for example:
- The post or comment includes profanity
- The post or comment involves any form of personal attack
- The post is devoid of content other than negativity or aggression.
This site is intended to foster learning and communication between students, teachers, organizations and educational institutions. We encourage open dialogue and the development of ideas here; we will do anything we can to guarantee that users of the site have a safe and comfortable place to write and learn collectively in a global writing, contemporary issues and critical thinking classroom. If any user has concerns about these values, please firstname.lastname@example.org.
© Copyright 2006-2016, Gabriel Flacks/NewsActivist
All logos of NewsActivist are trademarks and/or service marks of NewsActivist
- All content and images not created by users of the site, except where otherwise noted or implied, are owned and copyrighted by NewsActivist and can only be used with permission.
- Using materials from this website on another website or for any other purpose requires authorization from NewsActivist, Inc. and a visible link back to the NewsActivist website.
All features tailored to a project's goals provided by newsactivist are the sole and exclusive property of newsactivist, and no such features otherwise may be added to the platform provided by newsactivist without the express, written, prior permission of newsactivist.
Sharing Your Content and Information
You own all of the content and information you post on NewsActivist, and you can control how it is shared through your privacy settings. In addition:
- For content that is covered by intellectual property rights, like photos and videos (IP content), you specifically give us the following permission, subject to your privacy settings: you grant us a non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free, worldwide license to use any IP content that you post on or in connection with NewsActivist (IP License). This IP License ends when you delete your IP content or your account unless your content has been shared with others, and they have not deleted it.
- When you delete IP content, it is deleted in a manner similar to emptying the recycle bin on a computer. However, you understand that removed content may persist in backup copies for a reasonable period of time (but will not be available to others).
- When you publish content or information using the Public setting, it means that you are allowing everyone, including people off of NewsActivist , to access and use that information, and to associate it with you (i.e., your user name and profile picture).
- We always appreciate your feedback or other suggestions about NewsActivist, but you understand that we may use them without any obligation to compensate you for them (just as you have no obligation to offer them).
NewsActivist's DMCA (Digital Millenium Copyright Act) Compliance Statement
NewsActivist recognizes and makes every effort to comply with the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA).
It is NewsActivist's policy to respond to notices of alleged copyright infringement in compliance with the DMCA. This might include removing or disabling access to material, alleged to be related to copyright infringement.
In the event of a copyright infringement claim, NewsActivist, in compliance with the DMCA, will make a good faith effort to contact the user who supplied the content that contains the material so that they may have the opportunity to make a counter-notification as specified in the DMCA. If no counter-claim is received within 14 days of notification, or NewsActivist believes the claim to be reasonable, NewsActivist will remove the materials referenced in the claim.
To file a copyright infringement notification with NewsActivist , a written communication by email to email@example.com must be sent including the below information:
A link to the page containing copyrighted work that has been infringed and a description of the nature of the infringement.
Address and telephone number of the person making the copyright infringement claim.
Inclusion of the following statement:
"I have a good faith belief that use of the copyright materials described above on the allegedly infringing web pages is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law. I swear, under penalty of perjury, that the information in the notification is accurate and that I am the copyright owner or am authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed."
Newsactivist will notify the user who posted the material in question within 3 business days of receipt of the copyright infringement claim.
The DMCA provides for counter notification if a site owner feels he or she is being wrongly accused of copyright infringement. A written counter-notification email must be sent, including the information below:
Identification of URLs or material that has been removed or disabled by NewsActivist.
Name, address, telephone number, email address and a statement consenting to the jurisdiction of the Federal District Court for the judicial district in which your address is located.
Include the following statement:
"I swear, under penalty of perjury, that I have a good faith belief that the item identified above was removed or disabled as a result of a mistake or misidentification and is not infringing on copyright."
The counter-notification should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
NewsActivist will notify the individual or agent who filed the initial copyright claim about the counter-notification within 14 business days of receipt of the counter-notification, and will take action to restore any material that has been removed, if such action seems reasonable. In cases where the parties cannot come to agreement on the copyright infringement claim, NewsActivist will remove or restore material as deemed appropriate by the courts.
Teachers who use this site must be aware of and compliant with local laws and institutional rules if any apply to the use of such tools in coursework.
1. Usage License NewsActivist.com grants you a limited license to access the Site and use the Services in accordance with these Terms and the instructions and guidelines posted on the Site. Newsactivist.com reserves the rights to terminate your license to use the Site and Services at any time and for any reason or in the future charge for commercial usage.
2. User Responsibility You are solely responsible for your use of the Site and Services. Because NewsActivist.com merely serves as a repository of information, user-posted content does not represent the advice, views, opinions or beliefs of NewsActivist.com, and NewsActivist.com makes no claim of accuracy of any user-posted material. NewsActivist.com archives links to third-party websites. The linked websites' content, business practices and privacy policies are not under our control, and we are not responsible for the content of any linked website or any link contained in a linked website. The inclusion of a link on the Site or Services does not imply any endorsement by or any affiliation with Newsactivist.com. In accessing the Site and Services or following links to third-party websites you may be exposed to content that you consider offensive or inappropriate. You agree that your only recourse is to stop using the Site and Services.
3. Feeds and API NewsActivist.com may at some point provide access to portions of its Site and Services via RSS feeds and an API; for the purposes of these Terms, such access constitutes use of the Site and Services. NewsActivist.com asks that you use these features respectfully, as outlined in the documentation. NewsActivist.com reserves the rights to change these features at any time and to disable access to the feeds and the API at any time for any reason.
4. Intellectual Property (Trademarks & Copyrights) NewsActivist.com, the NewsActivist.com logo and the NewsActivist.com design are trademarks or trade dress of Gabriel Flacks and Newsactivist.com, and may not be used without express written permission from NewsActivist.com, other than for attribution. All other trademarks not owned by NewsActivist.com that appear on this Site are the property of their respective owners, who may or may not be affiliated with, connected to, or sponsored by newsactivist.com. NewsActivist.com-originated content included on the Site, such as text, graphics, logos, software and the compilation of all content on the Site, is the property of NewsActivist.com and its licensors and protected by Canada, United States and international copyright laws. Except as set out in these Terms, no reproduction of any newsactivist.com-originated content is permitted without written permission from newsactivist.com.
5. No Warranty and Limitation of Liability: NewsActivist provides the site and services “as is” and without any warranty or condition, express, implied or statutory. Newsactivist.com. specifically disclaims any implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, non-infringement, information accuracy, integration, interoperability or quiet enjoyment. Some states do not allow the disclaimer of implied warranties, so the foregoing disclaimer may not apply to you. You understand and agree that you use the Site and Services at your own discretion and risk and that you will be solely responsible for any damages that arise from such use. Under no circumstances shall newsactivist.com be liable for any direct, indirect, special, incidental, consequential or punitive damages of any kind, or any other damages whatsoever, however, arising, including by negligence, including, without limitation, damages related to use, misuse, reliance on, inability to use and interruption, suspension, or termination of the site or services, damages incurred through any links provided on the site and the nonperformance thereof and damages resulting from loss of use, data, or goodwill, whether or not newsactivist.com has been advised of such possibility. Your only right with respect to any dissatisfaction with this site or services or with newsactivist.com shall be to terminate use of this site and services. Some states do not allow the exclusion of liability for incidental or consequential damages, so the above exclusions may not apply to you.
6. Other: newsactivist.com and you are independent entities, and nothing in the Terms, or via use of the Site or Services, will create any partnership, joint venture, agency, franchise, sales representative, or employment relationship between newsactivist.com and you. These Terms supersede any previous agreement and represent the entire agreement between newsactivist.com and you. These Terms are governed by the laws of Canada without reference to conflict of laws principles. If any provision of the Terms is adjudged to be illegal or unenforceable, the continuation in full force of the remainder of the Terms will not be prejudiced, and the illegal or unenforceable provision of the Terms shall be severed accordingly. Any notices must be sent to NewsActivist in English at email@example.com
Contacts and Survey/Feedback Contact
Please email any questions, comments or media requests to
Users are requested to complete surveys to let us know how the site works for you, and how we can improve it and/or email firstname.lastname@example.org.