Who are the real bad guys?
by Ncama1 on October 22, 2013 - 9:48pm
There is a problem all around the world with police abusing their power and hurting citizens by using excessive force which is a major problem for police and citizens. There is many types of excessive force which is extra force used that’s not needed to get suspect in custody. The study used in this research article looks at possible ways to stop police brutality and excessive force, and one method is training and it’s believed it will make the officers act in a more professional and socially acceptable manner. With police training there are many questions posed: Which of the following courses of police training have the most impact on officer’s use of force: code of ethics, human relations, legal training, or community-oriented policing? And does the amount of time spent in one of those courses have any impact on the use of force by officers? To answer the question the study examines the relationship between police training and police use of force such as does training affect the use of force by police officers. The hypothesis in this study is; the more training police officers have, the less they use force, and the less officers use force, the fewer incidents of civilians get injured and the fewer complaints they get for the use of excessive force. National data used from the law enforcement departments in the United States are used to test the hypothesis. There were 1,111 agencies that participated in the research which includes municipal police departments, county sheriffs, county police departments etc. The data shows that more training for police officers is a useful tool in decreasing excessive force. Some of the actions that are known as excessive force is chemical agents used, vehicle ramming, and dog attacks. Some key findings were that ethics training in the academy is significantly related to the use of excessive force. The more community oriented training for new officers the more chemical agents and batons are used the more citizen complaints. The larger the departments the more dog attacks and the more hours of legal training in the academy the more incidents of vehicle ramming. In conclusion the more chemical agents and batons used result in more citizens wounded and the more vehicle ramming and dog attacks result in more citizen complaints and among the force variables chemical agents had the most impact on both citizen injuries and complaints which all these types of force are taught in the police academy training.
Police use of force is often excessive and not made out to be as big of a deal as it should in the media. The article did a great job of explaining the police use of excessive force and what types of excessive force is used and the correlation between specific aspects of training and what type of excessive force is used. The use of excessive force on citizens by police officers could put a damper on the relationship between communities and law enforcement departments. The main purpose of the article is to see what training in the police academy causes the most use of excessive force, what aspect of academy training causes what type of excessive force and ways to stop the use of excessive force such as extra training. The most important information is the data that connects the type of excessive force with the type of training used for example in community oriented training chemical agents were used in 63 percent of disputes and batons in the other 37 percent. The main conclusions in the article is police academy training causes police to use excessive force in certain situations that excessive force shouldn’t be used and that extra training could help reduce that. If we fail to take this line of reasoning seriously, the implications could be that citizens look at police officers and law enforcement as the bad guys when they should be the good guys. If excessive force and brutality is not stopped it could put a huge imprint on society’s view of police officers that will not able to be undone.
Gül, Z., Hekim, H., & Terkeşli, R. (2013). Controlling police (excessive) force: The American case. International Journal Of Human Sciences, 10(2), 285-303.