seeking Collaborators for a Winter 2016 class: Seiminar in Critical Issues in Business

The Teacher's Lounge is a place to find collaborative teaching partners for intercampus teaching and activities. By registering as a teacheyou will be able to post your message to all teachers in the NewsActivist network.

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
seeking Collaborators for a Winter 2016 class: Seiminar in Critical Issues in Business
English

I am hoping to collaborate with another class (or classes) on various discussions and writing assignments in this class.  Brief description of class "This seminar course covers the strategic analysis of major newsworthy events affecting the national and global business environment. The goal of this course is to enable students to develop an awareness of how valuable being "in the know" about current events is integral to business performance and employee productivity. Student participation includes the selection, strategic analysis, and discussion of a current major topic."

Companies in and out of the US

Business issues in and out of the US

Social Responsibility

- other ideas welcome

We're in the US on the east coast and it is (gulp) an 8am class starting in mid January

Hoping to create some good interactions in writing and, if possible, web conferences as well.

Paula Cancro

Still seeking partners

I think these discussions can take many directions. I've been looking at other postings here. What about governments and business, elections, unemployment, immigration policies, global issues in business. While the class has a slant towards business, the conversations and case studies can take a lot of different turns. Thanks for considering joining me on this adventure.

Paula

I'm interested

Hi,
I have students who I think would love to collaborate with your class, especially in addressing how business, when socially motivated, can be impactful in improving the world. My class is not about business, but will be posting about problems in the world starting this week. It would be great for your students to teach mine about certain aspects from your course that interact with the news. My students can be asked to comment on the work submitted by your students at certain junctures as well.
Let me know if you want to talk about this in person or comment below giving me a sense of your timelines!

Thanks,
Gabe

Canadian/US Class Collaboration

Hi Gabe -

That sounds great. Our first topic is actually the military industrial complex - the business of war. The premise for the class is to look at a number of issues throughout the term and see how it affects business in some way. The conversations can go a lot of different directions - corporate social responsibility, impact on the economy, small business, large businesses. I'm absolutely throwing in the elections this term - the entertainment value alone has been fascinating!

Since this is the first time I'm doing this, it sounds like I should get my students to post on the particular issue and go back and forth with your students. This is something I could get started this Wednesday on the current topic or set up another time during the term if that fits your class schedule better. We can set up a Skype call - we also use Zoom, so I have an account on that as well. No big plug ins on the latter so it's been working pretty cleanly - phone and/or computer.

Paula

Great

Hi Paula,
I suggest our students go back and forth using this site and not synchronously until the end of the semester if they choose.
In other words, mine post and yours comment on my students work and your students post and my students comment.
You and I could Skype and discuss workflow! Or we can do it here.
For example, this week, by tomorrow morning (February 2) my students will have focused writing on a part of the world they feel needs improvement and considered the reliability of the source they are choosing to use. Next week, they will write about a part of the world that they feels needs improvement, but will focus on their own personal story as it is associated with the news summary. We move forward weekly with increased depth and complexity. My students would love your students to comment at any point about how business is affected or affects the issue they are writing about. If your students write about something, mine can comment on their posts, integrating some of the work they are doing as the substance of the comments, be it about reliability of sources etc.
Let me know if you'd like to chat in person, via email, or right here!

A very belated reply to Gabe

Hi Gabe -

Well, now that tomorrow is March. Current topic in my class is elections/politics and business/economy. I will get my class set up to post here. If collaboration is still a possibility, I will gladly have my students comment on your students posts on your current topic. My class will begin this week on their postings (politics) at our end. We've just done some "test" posts so far.

Paula

Timeline

Hi Paula,
My class will be publishing a long piece next Tuesday, March 8. It would be great if your class could comment on these longer pieces which should be quite interesting as related to the economy and to politics, in many cases. Can you assign your students to comment on my class's work between the 8th and 11th? I can give them an assignment to respond to your class's work during that same time period, if you can have yours publish some work by the 8th that would be looking for feedback.
Here is the text of the assignment that my students will be completing by March 8 and let me know what your students will be posting about next: “SuperPost”: 12%
Location Comment: 3%
Both due March 8 at 9:30 AM

Superpost requirements
You will submit one “Super-post”, in which you summarize and incorporate ideas from three or more sources all about the same general issue: animals, environment, crime and law, etc., from the list of subjects at newsactivist. At least one article must be local (about something that took place within Quebec and in a Quebec-based publication), another source must be about a story that took place in another country. The location of the third publication you choose is up to you. Use these different locations of sources to make connections between local and international news. Consider the difference in way the issue is reported from different locations or how the same issue is treated in different places and tell your reader about the impact location has on the issue. Dig deep for some insight here. Keep in mind, the general issue you consider in this “Super-post” may be the issue you will continue to research this year.
This post should be written in the form of a short essay, with a brief introduction naming the sources you will be describing and the general issue to which the sources relate. The body paragraphs can summarize the information in the way you determine to be most interesting and clear. Drawing connections between local and global issues will be a way to contribute something new to this issue and make your post unique. Your conclusion will describe either:
- Your view on the issue and a suggestion about a way the issue could be addressed.
- Or, you can conclude by noting how the impact of location of reportage/journalism/publication impacts the issue’s media coverage.

Links to the news articles should be given within the text and please include MLA style bibliographic information at the end of the post.

Comment requirements
After you have submitted your superpost, you will teach another newsactivist user about the impact of location you discovered and articulated in your superpost. In your comment, start by making a positive comment about the original post. Then, share a way in which your discovery about the impact of location might be useful for the original post’s author to have in mind as they continue to consider the issue they addressed.

Will do!

Hi Gabe -

I'll do a review of NewsActivist with my class this week and we'll begin replying to your students this Wednesday. I will get the details of my assignment posted here as well.

Thanks!

Paula