Looking for collaborator for Fall 2015 - Environmental Issues class

The Teacher's Lounge is a place to find collaborative teaching partners for intercampus teaching and activities. By registering as a teacheyou will be able to post your message to all teachers in the NewsActivist network.

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
Looking for collaborator for Fall 2015 - Environmental Issues class
English

Montreal
Canada
CA

Hi,

I am looking for a collaborator for Fall 2015, for an environmental issues class.  We will be looking at issues including population and resources, energy, human impacts on ecosystems (ecosystem change),  climate change, oceans / fisheries and agriculture. Each of these topics is approached from both a social and physical perspective.

Thanks, Genevieve

Fukushima Nuclear Disaster current impact

Hi Genevieve
My second year writing class in Osaka, Japan is preparing a paper of 500-600 words on the current impact of the Fukushima nuclear disaster on the world. I highlighted some of the Pacific Ocean current issues, fish migration and the news that North America is feeling an impact. The news in Japan is quite closed due to a recent new law which was passed, so they will use international sources. Their level of English is reasonably good and most can write well in English.
Would you be interested in commenting on our papers? We will post them in 7 - 10 days.
I hope we can collaborated on this subject. It seems to tie to your subject matter.
Tina

Fukushima

Hi again,
I just realized you registered a class for the fall. I will be teaching the same students in the fall. They can revise their papers with more current information, repost and look for comments then.
Would you be interested?
Thanx, Tina

Collaboration

Hi Tina,

Thanks for getting in touch. I am looking for a partner class interested in a frequent exchange of ideas, about 4 per semester. The topic you are looking at sounds interesting and relevant for my class. Would you be interested in having students post more regularly throughout the semester on environmental issues?

If you are curious, I posted a sample of the assignment I have used in the sample assignments section. You could take a look at it to see if it suits your needs and let me know if you would be interested in collaborating.

Hope to hear back from you soon,
Geneviève

Management of the Biophysical Environment Class looking for coll

Hello Genevieve and Tina,
I am teacihng a 3rd year course at U of Guelph in Ontario Canada in the fall and they will be doing some online writing 4-5 times during the semester on current environmental issues including fisheries, forest management, conservation and wildlife management. This is the first time I've taught this class and so am in development. Genevieve , I'll look at your assignment and see if something like that might suit me. Tina - I can possibly incorporate feedback on your assignments in the fall, but how many students are you talking about? I have somewhere around 140.

Cheers,

Robin

Collaboration

Hi Robin,
Let me know if the assignment outline I posted looks like something you could work with. I am open to being flexible, so if you have any suggestions or questions please let me know.
Geneviève

Fukushima Collabaration

Hi Robin
Sorry for the slow reply. Busy with semester end exams prep and marking. My class is 23 this semester and will be similar numbers next semester. They are Japanese students and work very hard before posting their work. I can only commit to one or two papers for next semester.
I think some collaboration with many different groups could work for all of our needs.
Tins

still interested in collaborating?

Hi Tina,
My class is starting, if you have a group of students and want to be a collaborating institution, just request on my course page. The course is called "Management of the Biophysical Environment" - that way my students will be able to see your students posts and comment on them. Otherwise, they might still find them but only through looking on the public site. Let me know, it would be great to have an international perspective!
Robin

collaboration on environmental issues

Hi Genevieve and Tina,
Genevieve - your assignment looks good to me. I will likely have them post summaries and commentaries on contemporary environmental news items 4 times, with comments on others 6 times. I am happy to have your group as a collaborating classroom. Like I said, it is a big group - probably over 100, so they will have to make good use of key words so students can find things they are interested in!
Tina - I am also happy to have your class to collaborate - It just might be tricky with the numbers. It will, perhaps be important for me to tell my students that at least one of their 6 comments need to be directed towards one of your students, otherwise it might not happen. I'm not sure how easy that is to do on this site since it will be the first time I use it.
Also - when during the semester would you anticipate your students essays to be posted?

Robin

Collaboration

Hi Robin and Tina,

Great! It sounds like we're on.

I have two groups, they are usually about 30-35 students each. Robin, I will follow your lead and ask my students to post 4 times and comment 6 times.
Tina, I will require that at least one of the comments is directed toward your students.

For the timing of due dates: I am hoping to start about a month into class. This, for us, falls sometime around mid-September. I'd like my students to post 4 times on a schedule of every 2-3 weeks, with the last posting happening at the latest in the last week of November, and comments due a week following each posting. Will this fit your schedules? Do either of you have other suggestions?

Geneviève

collaboration

excellent, sounds like we're on.
My class doesn't start until Sept 11th, so I can make the first posting due by Sept 25th at earliest, then probably oct 16th, Nov 6th and the 27th. Though I could make that last one a bit earlier if your courses are already done. I'll stick with a comment due one week after posting.

Looking forward to this!
Robin

Collaboration

That assignment timing works for me.
I'm glad we'll be having our classes work together! In the case I make any adjustments to the guidelines I give my students, I will make sure to send you a final copy of the assignment that I will distribute before September.
Geneviève

Getting ready for collaboration

Hi Genevieve and Tina,
Classes are starting for me this week and I have incorporated our collaboration into the syllabus. Since this is the first time I've used news activist, do you have any tips? Is there something we need to do to connect the classes, or do we just instruct our students to find each others classes? My plan was to insist students post so that your courses can see their posts but they can elect to post to the site as a whole if they wish. Does that make sense? let me know, I'll send you the final schedule of when their four posts are due.

Cheers,

Robin

Getting started

Hi Robin and Tina,

I have created a class for my students and instructed them to join - in the past this sometimes took a week or so. In their assignment instructions they will be required to reply to posts from both of your classes as well as their own. I don't think there is a linking function for the classes, but it will be useful to know the names of each others' courses. So...
My name: Genevieve Aboud - Institution name: Champlain College - Course name: Planetary Challenge 2015
My students have postings due Sept 25, Oct 16, Nov 6 and Nov 27 - with responses due Oct 2, Oct 23, Nov 13, Dec 7th.
Tina, does one of these dates work for your writing class?

Genevieve

Collaboration button

Hi!
Let me correct myself - I was perusing the website and found a collaboration button. Once a class is created we can search the class by name of teacher or institution, and on the class page there is a button to click with the word "collaborate" on it. You can search my class and see the button. Once you have created your classes for the upcoming semester I think we can link them that way.
Genevieve

Collaboration

Hi Genevieve,
I found the button and think I've requested to collaborate with your class. My class is called 'Management of the Biophysical Environment' (I know, v. original) and is the only class at U of Guelph on the site, so it shouldn't be hard to find. For my class, original posts are due Sept 25, Oct 9, Oct 30, Nov 20th with comments due Oct 2, Oct 16, Oct 23, Nov 8th, Nov 13th, Nov 27th.

one more thing

Just looking at your dates again, I'll push the last commentary to Dec 4th but their take home final exam is due on Dec 7th, so there might not be as many, though with 150 some odd students, it should be ok.

Comments / Responses

Hi Robin,
I was just looking over the dates you were assigning. It makes no real difference to me if your class gives their last comments earlier than Dec 4th. If your original timeline will be easier for your students, please don't change the due dates on our account.
Genevieve