If you are teaching a course in 2013-2014 and would like to offer your students a unique platform in which to write and learn about the world and how to improve it register as a teacher.
Benefits for Students
The site's design is intended to:
- Encourage reading, writing and debating about current events
- Improve critical thinking and deliberation skills by having students receive, give and respond to feedback
- Develop writing skills. Students experience their writing as open for response, review, revision, and improvement
- Develop media-literacy skills by exploring a variety of sources that discuss contemporary issues, mainstream media, academic journals and/or blogs, depending on class curriculum.
- Develop open-mindedness and tolerance by facilitating discussions between students from different classes and countries
- Foster off-line civic engagement, by gaining insight into the perspectives, ideas and civic engagement of peers
- Provide a space for debate for students who, for a variety of reasons, might not feel comfortable engaging in discussions in a traditional classroom setting
Benefits for Teachers
- An engaging interface where students share ideas and collaborate across campus and national borders.
- A teacher’s forum and consultants to help teachers integrate writing and commenting at NewsActivist into curricula and help new teachers find partners to develop collaborative assignments.
- Privacy control options available to each teacher and student
- Responsiveness to user-requests, to the best of our ability.