Member Comments

• Reply to: Music and poetry of a former war child   4 years 5 months ago

Your childhood is crucial period in your life. During this period, you are learning and making sense of the world around more and more every day. If, as a child, you are surround by brutal violence, it becomes the norm. As Emmanuel said, he saw people die right in front of his eyes and did not even cry. This violence, in a sense, becomes a part of you. Children exposed to violence can learn to express their emotions in that same form of aggression and they can easily be brain washed into thinking the same violent thoughts that their elders have. These repercussions will surely have a negative influence on that person later on in their adulthood. They may unfortunately live their entire lives in a violent manner, or perhaps with the help of education, some day come to the realization that life is not suppose to be lived this way, and that violence is never the answer.

• Reply to: The Music of a War Child - Discussion Question   4 years 5 months ago

In my opinion, I do agree with the Emmanuel's view on music which is that it can change your perception of your surrounding and can help up though rough times. When I listen to music, it transports me to another world according to the atmosphere of song. Thus, it is easy for me to comprehend that an individual going through rough times turns towards music to make them forget or get through this difficult time in their life. Music is like a marriage, it is with you through the good and the worst.

• Reply to: Music and poetry of a former war child   4 years 5 months ago

Based on Emmanuel Jal's TED Talk and your own opinion, what is a war child? How do their lives differ from typical North American children?

• Reply to: Discussion on Part 1 of the film "Love, Hate & Propaganda: War on Terror"   4 years 6 months ago

Why do you think it is important for media to portray events, such as the image of war, in the most truthful way possible?

No, I personally do not think that violence should be responded to with more violence. As the saying goes; two wrongs do not make a right. I do not think that Bush addressed and went about handling the terrorist attack on 9/11 in the correct manner. Osama Bin Ladin’s objective was to start a war with America; if the American government decided to respond in a non-violent manner, and did not declare war, perhaps this conflict would have never blown up to such a large extent. Responding in a violent manner simply leads to more civilian casualties, more terror, more anger, and a longer battle. War does not resolve anything. We need to find a way of addressing and dealing with disputes without the use of guns and bombs in order to actually overcome the disagreement at hand.

• Reply to: Unemployment From the Early 20th Century to Today   4 years 7 months ago

Hey, first of all, this outline is pretty good as it's clear & concise, which makes it really to understand your main points.

The fact that you decided to focus mainly on the province of Quebec is pretty brave on your part, mainly because it makes finding proper information a lot harder than it would be for a country such as the United States, especially considering you are looking for an overall history (20th century and on) of unemployment. When it comes to finding solutions to this issue, I suggest that you look at other countries' solutions to solving Quebec's unemployment issues. I also like the fact that you're focusing on the effects of unemployment on people; it is a perspective that is not often looked upon when talking about this subject. All in all I think you know very well what you're doing on this paper.

• Reply to: The Cruelest Form of Racism   4 years 9 months ago

I have decided to comment on your post because the foster care system has always interested me. Although I am only an 18 year old, I have always strongly considered the fact that one day I will take care of a child who is in need by either adopting or fostering. Somewhere deep down I always knew that there were more children of colour in those facilities but I did not think the case was as bad as you say. I definitely agree with every single one of your statements. It is really cruel towards innocent children who want nothing but love and to be helped. What gives the people in charge of the foster care system the right to deny the children of what they might need? Helping the minority children can change their whole world, as they would eventually end up with a family. As it is mentioned in Erin N. Winkler’s article called “Children are not colourblind: How young children learn race”, children do notice the different skin tones and make their on judgments based on what they observe. As you said, the children will most probably notice that they have been there longer than the Caucasian ones and will eventually make the connection that it is because of their skin colour as the other minority children who are also ignored are in the same situation. Isn’t there someone who is in charge of keeping an eye on these types of systems? Someone should report this for the sake of all those children. I wonder what the children would say if we had the chance to ask them ourselves about how they feel they are treated compared to the other children.

• Reply to: Survival of the Whitest   4 years 9 months ago

Your title immediately caught my attention, and I was glad that I choose to read your article since it is a scientific founding I was not aware of. It is an interesting subject, containing its dose of controversy nonetheless. I was glad to see your opinion on the issue since I completely agree with you. Honestly, as I began to read, I thought what the research proclaimed seemed logical, but I too found it dangerously close to being a simple excuse to commit acts of racism.
    I like how you also interpret the viewers’ thoughts, that simply because it is said by researchers then it must be the truth. Unfortunately, I believe people do take the time or care to verify the information they receive. However, as you said, this “discovery” is for many people an easy way out of the guilt they must feel for acting in discriminatory manners, which is why they accept it so easily, and do not take time to reflect upon it.
    This issue reminds me of the concept of scientific racism, which we have discussed in class, and in which racism can be “justified” by scientific reasoning. Hopefully, we will learn from our past mistakes, and instead use reason to guide our decisions. In contrast, I hope since we discard so easily scientific founding that “justifies” racism, we will not jump the gun on further evidence found against racism.

• Reply to: Ahmed Mohamed and His Clock Versus Texas   4 years 9 months ago

I chose to comment on this article because I was outraged by how people treated this innocent young Muslim boy. I agree with Lucas in how appalling his arrest was. This means faculty and police seriously believed he had constructed a bomb with the knowledge of a 14 year old. I believe this story will only add fuel to the flames that is stereotypes. The stereotypes were already prevalent but the spotlight of this news story will only reinforce the existing stereotypes offering yet another reason for people to be Islamophobic. I hope Ahmed isn't discouraged by what happened because it would be such a waste of raw talent. I can relate to being stereotyped against based on my race. It is devastating to a young mind and I hope this young man is compensated for what happened to him. Despite what happened, their reaction is only fair as around the time, terrorists acts in the United States were increasingly prevalent. What can their government implement to decrease this fear of terrorism as well as a this inherent Islamophobia?

• Reply to: Take a Look in the Mirror   4 years 9 months ago

I choose to comment on your submission because of the mysterious title, I think that the author and yourself make a fantastic point that the police treat racial minorities the way they do simply because they are reflecting societies attitudes towards crime. It had never occurred to me that society is partly at fault for the treatment of these innocent black men being killed. I completely agree with you when you say that we need to take a good long look in the mirror when we question why all of these social issues arise in our communities. Thinking on what you argue reminds me of new racism and even democratic racism because oftentimes people think they are such peaceful, equality loving people. However in reality, add to stereotypes and negative feelings towards minorities, without them or others realizing the racist undertone of their beliefs and comments. To conclude, like you said we should all look in the mirror to see if perhaps the person looking back is actually a part of the problem. If so, we need to realize the true meaning of racist and how to stop it at its roots, because we are the solution.