Member Comments

• Reply to: Follow-up homework on defining "Extremism"   1 year 8 months ago

Initially, when I read the Meriam-Webster definition of “extremism”, I found that extremism was defined as ideas deviated from what people believe as “correct or reasonable”. This definition suggests that extremism is somewhat erroneous and irrational. This definition cannot be satisfactory to all people because it does clarify the criterion defining correctness and rationality. However, this definition is enough comprehensive to give people an idea of what extremism looks like. To further our understanding of this word, we would need to place this concept in a wider temporal and cultural context. For example, after watching the movie “Facing Extremism”, I understood that extremism, in the 21st century, more particularly suggests ideologies based on racial, religious and gender discrimination which incite hatred, prejudices and violence.

• Reply to: seeking Collaborators for a Winter 2016 class: Seiminar in Critical Issues in Business   1 year 9 months ago

Hi Paula,
    My class will be publishing a long piece next Tuesday, March 8. It would be great if your class could comment on these longer pieces which should be quite interesting as related to the economy and to politics, in many cases. Can you assign your students to comment on my class's work between the 8th and 11th? I can give them an assignment to respond to your class's work during that same time period, if you can have yours publish some work by the 8th that would be looking for feedback.
    Here is the text of the assignment that my students will be completing by March 8 and let me know what your students will be posting about next: “SuperPost”: 12%
    Location Comment: 3%
    Both due March 8 at 9:30 AM

Superpost requirements
    You will submit one “Super-post”, in which you summarize and incorporate ideas from three or more sources all about the same general issue: animals, environment, crime and law, etc., from the list of subjects at newsactivist. At least one article must be local (about something that took place within Quebec and in a Quebec-based publication), another source must be about a story that took place in another country. The location of the third publication you choose is up to you. Use these different locations of sources to make connections between local and international news. Consider the difference in way the issue is reported from different locations or how the same issue is treated in different places and tell your reader about the impact location has on the issue. Dig deep for some insight here. Keep in mind, the general issue you consider in this “Super-post” may be the issue you will continue to research this year.
    This post should be written in the form of a short essay, with a brief introduction naming the sources you will be describing and the general issue to which the sources relate. The body paragraphs can summarize the information in the way you determine to be most interesting and clear. Drawing connections between local and global issues will be a way to contribute something new to this issue and make your post unique. Your conclusion will describe either:
    - Your view on the issue and a suggestion about a way the issue could be addressed.
    - Or, you can conclude by noting how the impact of location of reportage/journalism/publication impacts the issue’s media coverage.

Links to the news articles should be given within the text and please include MLA style bibliographic information at the end of the post.

Comment requirements
    After you have submitted your superpost, you will teach another newsactivist user about the impact of location you discovered and articulated in your superpost. In your comment, start by making a positive comment about the original post. Then, share a way in which your discovery about the impact of location might be useful for the original post’s author to have in mind as they continue to consider the issue they addressed.

• Reply to: Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder: Analyzing the Effects of Witnessing Violent Acts   1 year 10 months ago

PTSD is an issue that really needs to be talked about and I am glad that you are bringing it up. Mental health seems to be becoming much less of a taboo as time goes on, but there needs to be more pressure to get adequate research and action. Since you seem to be wanting to focus on governments, it would probably be good to emphasize the previous Canadian government's actions when it came to veteran's affairs. Also, if you want to stick to a strictly Canadian point of view, mentioning well-known people like Roméo Dallaire and Clara Hughes would also be good.

• Reply to: Creating an outline: Rwanda Genocide   1 year 10 months ago

I think this is a topic that you could certainly shed some more light on. I like that you have a broad and diverse focus and that your research might be able to help find some solutions not only to problems still existing in Rwanda, but in other countries that have been similarly affected. I did a project on that genocide last semester and I have to warn you that it can sometimes be tough to navigate through all of the information as it is a very complex topic. Also, I would just like to mention that it would be better not to use the term ''race'' and that not only Tutsis, but also some moderate Hutus, as well as Twa were affected by thoses events.

• Reply to: seeking Collaborators for a Winter 2016 class: Seiminar in Critical Issues in Business   1 year 10 months ago

Hi Paula,
    I suggest our students go back and forth using this site and not synchronously until the end of the semester if they choose.
    In other words, mine post and yours comment on my students work and your students post and my students comment.
    You and I could Skype and discuss workflow! Or we can do it here.
    For example, this week, by tomorrow morning (February 2) my students will have focused writing on a part of the world they feel needs improvement and considered the reliability of the source they are choosing to use. Next week, they will write about a part of the world that they feels needs improvement, but will focus on their own personal story as it is associated with the news summary. We move forward weekly with increased depth and complexity. My students would love your students to comment at any point about how business is affected or affects the issue they are writing about. If your students write about something, mine can comment on their posts, integrating some of the work they are doing as the substance of the comments, be it about reliability of sources etc.
    Let me know if you'd like to chat in person, via email, or right here!

Hi,
    I have students who I think would love to collaborate with your class, especially in addressing how business, when socially motivated, can be impactful in improving the world. My class is not about business, but will be posting about problems in the world starting this week. It would be great for your students to teach mine about certain aspects from your course that interact with the news. My students can be asked to comment on the work submitted by your students at certain junctures as well.
    Let me know if you want to talk about this in person or comment below giving me a sense of your timelines!

Thanks,
    Gabe

• Reply to: Collaborative course January-May 2016   1 year 10 months ago

Hi Sarah,
    Sounds good. I will keep your dates in mind and let you know what my students will be asked to do in the weeks prior to your comments.

Best,
    Gabe

• Reply to: Art to contribute   2 years 6 months ago

It is a good thing that your passion is linked to your volunteer opportunity. The fact that your love of art and love of animals such as lion are linked will really help and drive you towards your dream and goals. In order to reach more people and awareness about your cause, of course you can use social media to share your artwork and promote your cause or you could get involved in a legal street painting group in order to see your artwork exposed to the eye of everyone. This could have a great impact on your cause and bring more positive results than social media itself.

• Reply to: Art to contribute   2 years 6 months ago

• Reply to: Volunteering Experience with REACH School   2 years 6 months ago

I think your choice of volunteering is one of the most important. First of all, it is important to respect and treat people with disabilities with more attention and care because that’s what they need the most. Also, I also think that it is important to teach them how to become more independent. Finally, I think that using physical activities in order to teach them things that could be useful for them. Another strategy that could be used to help them become more independent and help them learn is by integrating them in the society and the world of work. For instance, at Champlain College, the people who are doing an amazing job cleaning the cafeteria every day are people with a mental handicap. By integrating them, it provides them work experience and makes them reasoning. Also, it makes them feel useful and important.