Member Comments

• LP
    Reply to: Manbox sabotages society   6 years 3 months ago

The title of your post has really captured my attention, it is a point of view that I completely agree with. The “manbox” is something that was socially constructed and has imposed certain attitudes towards men. This concept or idea of an “ideal” man is affecting both genders. Females are loosing a sense of power since those men feel like they need to be inferior. Man have something that we call “men privilege”, they have certain benefits that women do not have. I believe that if we put an end to the concept of “men privilege” and the “manbox” we will be able to achieve equality between genders.

• Reply to: Ethics class fall 2014 looking for collaborative partners- contemporary issues/difficult problems to solve   6 years 4 months ago

I wold love to collaborate with you. I will get my students to post something in about three weeks, In the mean time feel free to have your students make comments on any work that is already up there.

Gina

• LP
    Reply to: Our Beloved Canada- Home to Racism?   6 years 4 months ago

I would like to start off by saying that the title you have chosen has actually caught my attention and is the reason that I decided to read it. The article you have written has a lot of interesting information and point of views.

While summarizing the article by Craig and Marc Kielburger, a point about the importance of recognizing the issue in Canada was brought up and I completely agree with it. I believe that we must recognize the problem in our society in order to bring changes in relation to racism and discrimination. Like we discussed in class, since this social issue does not touch the majority of the Canadian population they believe that it is not happening in their society because they are not affected by it.

I sometimes wonder though if more Canadian were aware of the racism found within their own society would they be able to accept this and actually come together to create a change.

• Reply to: Ethics class fall 2014 looking for collaborative partners- contemporary issues/difficult problems to solve   6 years 5 months ago

My students could read some posts and make comments (opinions) and I could have my students put up some articles as well. I only have 26 students.

• Reply to: Collaboration sought for Fall 2014   6 years 6 months ago

Hi Keith,
    I'll be teaching an ethics course this fall. It is quite likely that my students will be asked to explore several classes on the site and to point to ethical issues/theories/principles that bear on the writing shared at the site. Further, each student will be posting news summaries, often local, that indicate a part of the world where something less-than-ethical is going on, and over the semester, will develop a portfolio of writing around an issue that resonates with her. They will explore both theoretical issues and practical issues that make it difficult to resolve the issue, presenting the dilemma inherent in the case, and by the end of the semester, attempt to make an editorial-style argument about how and why we should deal with the problem.
    Although only certain pieces of our courses may align, I wanted to encourage you to think about how we might have our courses intersect- perhaps just around sense-of-place and the research paper. Let me know what you think!

• Reply to: Kozmoz   6 years 9 months ago

Great work! To be honest, I really enjoyed reading your post. It was nicely written and very well explained. I can relate to this because I, myself, I recently volunteered at an organization and their mission is to help the poor people by offering food, shelter and personal development services. I agree it is very important to volunteer and help the ones who are in need. Good job, continue with the great work! I like your involvement!

• Reply to: Kozmoz   6 years 9 months ago

• Reply to: HUNGER PEOPLE   6 years 9 months ago

Nice work! I really like the topic you chose to discuss about. In fact, it is a very important issue. We all need food and water to survive. It is unfortunate that there are some countries where there is lack of proper food which leads to a number of deaths in this world. I believe it is essential to raise awareness and to help in some way or another to reduce this problem. In the last couple of months, I've been reading a lot about homeless people, and it deals with similar problems. They do not have a shelter, food or any proper clothing. I've been writing about this issue hoping to raise awareness as well. Anyways, great work! Keep it up!

• Reply to: Low-Income   6 years 9 months ago

Although the data you show is very interesting, I do not agree with the way you analysed it. Somebody on welfare may not be able to have job opportunities in his or her area, which is often the case. Taking away the little amount of money that they have will only create more problems, such as an augmentation of crime and possibly drug use. What I do agree with is that the government should get involved, but not in the way you wrote about. Instead of placing more laws on welfare like you talked about, the government should offer more public transport poor areas. Since most cannot afford a vehicule and reach job opportunities, an effective public transport system would give them the chance of going to places were there are more jobs. This would raise their income and eventally get off welfare.

• Reply to: Is college education worth it? After all the money and time I spend which I could use to start my career early?   6 years 9 months ago

I found your post very interesting and important since I am a college student. Although I agree with you that getting a job after college is a myth, but it does help. Since university has become accessible to almost everybody, jobs that come out of it are harder to get considering the number of people competing to get them, while other jobs such as plumbing have become easier to get into because of the lack of competition. In Quebec, there is a different level of school before entering university, which is almost the same thing but more general. I believe that this system can be very effective since it can give college students a better idea about whether or not they wish to go to university.