Member Comments

• Reply to: climate change's impact on agriculture   2 hours 22 min ago

Hi Devon,
    First, I would like to tell you that your summary was very interesting and well written. The issue you are addressing is very worth our attention and affects all of us.
    To answer your question, I would personally suggest you to keep track and try to decrease your CO2 emission as well as your energy consumption. Little by little, it could contribute to smooth the effects of climate change and global warming. All little actions will pay off. You could also try to have a more biologic diet and try to reduce your meat consumption, to reduce the impacts of your alimentation on the environment.
    To have the opinion of experts, I found a very nice article about the causes and solutions of agricultural crisis; The Farm Crisis: Its Causes and Solutions, by the National Farmers Union’s (Canada). It says that the best thing to do is to eat organic and to encourage local production. Also, we should try to support people producing food in rural communities and regions. It could help by reducing the carbon dioxide emission, creating jobs, and also contributing to our health.

The National Farmers Union’s. (2005, July 5). The Farm Crisis: Its Causes and solutions. (accessed on April 20, 2018). Retrieved from: http://www.nfu.ca/sites/www.nfu.ca/files/Ministers_of_Ag_brief_FOUR.pdf

• Reply to: As World’s Population Booms, Will Its Resources Be Enough for Us?   1 week 2 days ago

I choose to comment on your summary because it is true that population growth is affecting our environment. I agree because I also think that Thomas Malthus was right about the earth not being able to support all the population in the world one day. Population growth on earth must slow down by adjusting birth rates rather than waiting for death rates to rise. I think it is cruel to control human fertility, but this is the solution in order to avoid a life like in Third World countries where people struggle to stay alive. As the population grows, so does the battle against hunger, governments try to increase food production in order to feed everyone and control population number. For the benefit of all mankind, besides food, population need other resources like clothing, housing, and education. The I=PAT equation means that both population and consumption are parts of the problem and neither can be ignored because both are worsening the human impact on the earth. You are right about the use of our resources, we should be more careful about how much we use and try to avoid wasting our precious resources. I agree that through education on birth control, population growth can be stopped. It was an enlightening to read your summary because it was clear and concise and based on facts.

• Reply to: The Changes in Antarctica   1 week 2 days ago

I wanted to comment on your summary because I find the topic of the melting glacier in Antartica very interesting. It is a big issue all around the world that should be addressed seriously because the rising of sea level will affect everyone in the future. The melting of the glaciers is caused by the increasing climate of global warming. If all of the Antarctican ice would melt the sea level would rise by 60m, which would cover many of the low land countries. Furthermore, the melting of the polar ice-caps will make the polar bear population decrease, their habitats become smaller and smaller and harder to find when coming back from fishing. Since polar ice-caps are melting, polar bears will end up drowning trying to find hard ice to live on. This ecosystem issue will have a great impact on the future of the Antartic glacier if it is not addressed soon, in 100 years there will be might be no more glacier and the consequences we will face, will make us wish we did something sooner. I hope that we will continue to have glaciers and polar bears for the rest of human existence, but for that to happen we need to help.

• Reply to: Climate changes   1 week 2 days ago

I chose to comment on your summary because I think that it’s important to know all the cause of climate change, it’s a really big issue that affects everyone on the planet, and everyone should be aware of it. I find really frustrating that almost everyone knows what kind of effect the greenhouse gases have on the earth and are just ignoring it. The sun rays that are captured in the atmosphere, are the main cause of all the ice melting in Antarctica. All those greenhouse gases; carbon dioxide, methane, and water vapor, are overheating our ecosystems and making it harder and harder for humans, animals, and plants to live. In every bad, there’s a good, and in this case, the earth cannot live without the trapped the heat in the atmosphere because if not, the earth would be too cold to support any kind of living things. But there is a limit to the amount the earth can handle, humans are currently producing an excessive amount of greenhouses gases by burning too much fossil fuel and forests. The amount of greenhouse gases as increased greatly and has resulted in a rise in the world’s temperature. We are destroying our own earth and I really hope that one day the world will finally notice this problem and do something about it.

• Reply to: climate change   1 week 2 days ago

I have decided to respond to your summary because I think it is important to warn the society about the impact of climate change on our day-to-day life. Indeed, the article states that we could limit the damages if we start now, however, will we be able to make a big change like that? I do not think so. Also, it is important to mention that underdevelopped countries would be the more at tisk to these climate changes and the least prepare to come back from a disturbance in their food chaim and agriculture. In fact, human mistakes may put the life in danger of many people living in poor countries by destroying their food production. Briefly, I think this article passes an important message which is that if we continue to live this way, we will slowly destroy ourselves starting by indirectly destroying our food supplies.

• Reply to: Climate changes   1 week 2 days ago

I agree with you when it comes to fossil fuels being a large cause to climate change. The planet gets warmer every day, but humans don’t notice it because they don’t see the impact they have. There are many impacts about climate change including rising sea levels. The earth is warming up at a very rapid pace which is having many consequences but without science, it would be very hard to even notice that climate change even existed. Science has also explained a few of the reasons why the climate is changing including greenhouse gasses. Without these new discoveries, we would not be able to try and lower our harmful impacts on the environment. In the article you chose, it is nice to see that it also talks about the natural process and that it is not only humans causing this climate change. If you would like to read more on sea levels rising, I will put the link below.

• Reply to: Climate Change Could Raise Food Shortage Globally: Study   1 week 2 days ago

I chose to comment on your summary because I was interested in knowing the extent of the damage caused by climate change on the depletion of food supplies around the world. I also want to acquire more knowledge on the living conditions of people in developing countries in order to raise awareness on issues such as this one, which we are fortunate enough in Quebec to not experience. I found many examples of countries that are currently going through climate change-induced food shortages just as you pointed out. For instance, according to a 2012 UN report, “one in four households in sub-Saharan Africa cannot access adequate food”. (Masipa, 2017) Unfortunately, things are only getting worse as South Africa is described as being a vulnerable area to the effects of climate change. (Masipa, 2017)
    In 2007, the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change predicted that “agricultural productivity will decline from 21% to 9% by 2080 due to climate change in sub-Saharan Africa” (Masipa, 2017) Another example is Bangladesh, a poor and very populated country, where floods due to the sea-level rise happen often, as “[about] 10 percent of [the country] is barely one metre above the sea level.” (Gulsan & SM, 2013). In fact, the annual rate at which the sea level increases in Bangladesh is more than the double of the global rate. (Gulsan & SM, 2013) The shrinking of the coastal land is a huge problem for the agricultural sector, on which “almost 70 percent of country population depends [...] for their livelihoods.” (Gulsan & SM, 2013)

I agree with you that we as individuals should make changes in our daily lives to reduce the effects of climate change. I also think it is important to raise awareness about this issue by talking about it to our friends and further educating ourselves on the extensive impacts it produces around the world.

Bibliography

Gulsan, A. P., & SM, R. A. (2013). Impacts of climate change on food security of rural poor women in bangladesh. Management of Environmental Quality, 24(6), 802-814. http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/MEQ-04-2013-0033 Retrieved from https://proquest-crc.proxy.ccsr.qc.ca/docview/1430561580?accountid=44391

Masipa, T. S. (2017). The impact of climate change on food security in south africa: Current realities and challenges ahead. Jàmbá, 9(1) Retrieved from https://proquest-crc.proxy.ccsr.qc.ca/docview/1928595322?accountid=44391

• Reply to: Climate Change in Antarctica   1 week 2 days ago

After reading your summary, I decided to chose your article because I found the topic interesting insofar as, typically, one wouldn't associate the melting of glaciers to warm water from beneath. In fact, the article mentioned an interesting fact that the melting of an underwater glacier the size of greater London had melted throughout the space of 5 years. I think that its rather alarming to think of all the natural disasters that could occur in the future given our current lifestyles. The article you chose is really interesting also in the sense that as the author mentions rising sea levels are an important threat to mankind. Also interesting is when you mention that the accumulated sea level rise could in the near future rise approximately 3 meters. Finally, I'll end off by mentioning that like you stated stopping the rise in sea levels is practically impossible and water levels will inevitably continue to rise however I would recommend maybe finding a way to slower sea level rise since stopping it entirely is impossible. Indeed, my suggestion would be to impose something that is already present, that being a protocol that would diminish carbon emissions.

• Reply to: Consequences of Climate Change in Canadian forests   1 week 2 days ago

Your summary interested me since it was an effect of climate change that I did not hear before. I feel like we always see consequences of climate change in other country but not much on what is going on in Canada. I found it interesting to learn about the effects in our country. Also, I believe that it is a subject that is underreported in comparison to other like the melting of glaciers and that it is important that we are aware of this issue. Moreover, It is really eyes opening that the article compared the issue of fire and invasive bugs with the lumber industry since it helps us understand the fullness of the problem. Moreover, you explained the process of destruction in a way that we can understand even better the impact.

• Reply to: The Flaw in the Paris Climate Agreement   1 week 2 days ago

I was compelled by your article because I had no idea what the Paris Climate Agreement was and thought this was a perfect opportunity to learn about it. I totally agree on the part that we must always remain skeptical when dealing with issues such as climate changes until we see the fact and the research that lead to these facts because it seems that studies are inclined to try and convince the public of their own beliefs and interests. Also, one part of your text that shocked me was that we shouldn't be limiting ourselves to 1.5°C, and that we should, in fact, just stop it all/ Why in the world would someone still want to have any kind of warming on our planet? It made me think about one article that revealed that whatever the rise of temperature is, it still impacts heavily. Changes in heat distribution around the planet tends to make some habitats impossible to live in for some plants, then forcing the animals to leave because of the loss of vegetation, etc. ( Rinkesh, 2009). Briefly,we should definitely not take any risk with global warming and stay on the safe side to not disturb our ecosystems.

Source: https://www.conserve-energy-future.com/climatechangeeffects.php