Member Comments

• Reply to: The increasing number of drug crimes in Mexico City   1 day 17 hours ago

I also believe that investments in education by the government is the best long-term solution to tackle this problem. By arresting criminals, such as El Chapo, drug organizations are surely affected, but only for a short period. However, like you said, by improving the education system, people will have better living condition and they will be less tempted to try drugs. In your article, you mentioned that businesses spend almost $1billion in security and surveillance every year. I find interesting to analyze the economic effects of the drug trafficking. In a research done by Harvard, "an increase of 9.8% in the number of criminal organizations is enough to eliminate an economic sector" (Rios 2016). As you said, the tourism sector is not affected yet, but it is a sensitive sector. Also, I think that some people want to leave the country due to violence, because 85% of them feel unsafe. Thus, educated people who have the means would leave the country which could have a negative impact on the local industries that need skilled workers.

Source: Rios, V. (2016). The impact of crime and violence on economic sector diversity, Retrieved from http://scholar.harvard.edu/files/vrios/files/riosv_crimesectordiversityd...

• Reply to: The smog in Beijing and its negative effects   2 days 14 hours ago

Almost every year I go to China to visit my grandparents. When I was a child, I didn't pay attention to the sky when I landed at Beijing's airport, until 2011. It was during winter, when the energy consumption were very high due to home heating. My mom and I were in a taxi on the way to the airport for a flight to Hunan. The taxi drivers said something that I still remember, because it is very unusual in Canada: "The roads are unclear. Look at the grey fog. If the smog was darker, schools could be closed in the city." I was surprised, because in Quebec we only miss school due to snowstorms. Since that time, I started to pay attention to the sky every time I visit China. Two years after, in 2013, my father was reading the news and told me that Beijing promised to stop using coal in large power-plants to supply electricity. During the summers in 2014 and in 2016, I returned to Beijing and realized that the sky turned blue. Even my mother said that it had been a long time since she last saw a blue sky in Beijing. As you explained in your article summary, China is trying to improve the air quality, and that is the reason why the sky in Beijing turned blue. In 2015, Beijing closed the majority of its coal-fired power plants and this year, on March 18, Beijing suspended its last coal power-plants in order to improve the air quality (Vaughan 2017). By what I saw in 2011 to 2016, I agree with you that the pollution in China is a big problem and fortunately the Chinese government is making real improvements.

Source: Vaughan, A. (2017). Coal in 'freefall' as new power plants dive by two-thirds, Retrieved from https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/mar/22/coal-power-plants-gr...

• Reply to: An Anti-Age Solution   3 weeks 6 days ago

Dear Thomasakaginer,
    thanks for the positive feedback
    I hope we will celebrate your 1000 anniversary together

• Reply to: An Anti-Age Solution   3 weeks 6 days ago

Dear Thomasakaginer,
    thanks for the positive feedback
    I hope we will celebrate your 1000 anniversary together

• Reply to: An Anti-Age Solution   3 weeks 6 days ago

Very interesting topic!

• Reply to: Superbugs Might Have More Than One Kryptonite!   3 weeks 6 days ago

very interesting, fellow student
    can't wait for your next post!!!

• Reply to: Superbugs Might Have More Than One Kryptonite!   3 weeks 6 days ago

Dear Gobeil1,
    I am pleased to receive some positive feedback from you.
    It really motivates me to keep posting in this fantastic website.
    I am looking forward to your first post!

• Reply to: "The immunological clock"   4 weeks 11 hours ago

Scientific progress in this domain of biology will benefit human reproduction!

• Reply to: Where Are the Birds at?   1 month 1 day ago

• Reply to: Is it morally correct to force a women to remove part of her clothes because of secularism?   1 year 1 month ago

You impressed me, the way you use your words, you really convinced me that it's doesn't make sense what happened to this women. However there is just one point that doesn't work in your text and it's not an important error, still I was thinking that it would be practice to you to be more careful with words that you use sometimes. Example: ''People have a right to believe and practice what they want without being forced to change.'' It's an fallacy that we name hasty generalization in humanity class. It happen when you take one situation and you generalize it. In your case, you were talking about the right to wear burkini and suddenly, everybody should have the right to practice what they want. Hence, just be careful to be precise enough in your conclusion. Then I hope that my comment will help you for your next article. And I very appreciated my reading of this one, good job!