Member Comments

• Reply to: Geniuses or cheaters?   1 year 4 months ago

I found the topic you chose for this piece is very interesting. Being a fellow college student, I understand the pressure that is placed on you as a student to be the best that you can be. The education system forces you to compete with other students to portray the best academic grades you can achieve. Students tend to cheat on exams because of the overall pressures they have to perform and keep their grades up. When I was in high school, during my grade 10 year, there was a grade 11 student who wrote her public speech on the pressures of education. Her speech went on to winning the gold medal in the national public speaking contest. Her speech allowed for us to see the pressure students have to go through to have a higher final grade them our classmates.

• Reply to: Way of decreasing the incidence of child abuse and neglect.   1 year 4 months ago

The title of your post caught my attention right away. Great work on introducing this topic and allowing for more people to know more about this topic. Out of all the articles that I've come across, I have not seen any other topics on this issue. Overall, this article was well written and I would love to learn more about this topic.

• SVL
    Reply to: Keeping Up with Fake News   1 year 4 months ago

I genuinely appreciate your comment and how passionate you are about this subject, but in my defence, I never intended to write an essay or a complete analysis on the issue of "fake news". My goal was to write a news summary explaining the mistake a newspaper did which is why there is only "one proof".

• SVL
    Reply to: Racial Bias in America: We Need to Talk   1 year 5 months ago

Your article hit a nerve with me, in a good way. Your writing shows how passionate you are about your subject and I do love how you start this post with a personal anecdote. It is a nice way to have a little bit background on where you are coming from (what experience made you have this position in this article).

I remember when I was younger, my brother and I were playing at a park when someone started pretending to speak Chinese to us. What do I say? How do I act? How do I pretend this never happen? I was absolutely embarrassed from being put in this sort of position. I, for once, will be the first to admit that for the longest time, I was ashamed of being an Asian. From this point, I started to despise my black hair and wished my eyes were a different color than my current boring brown ones. I hated how the fact you were not “white” made you automatically an outsider. That somehow, you could not understand other people’s problems and issues. I had to remind them we all go through some shit (sorry for the language) no matter what skin color you have or where do you come from. And like you say in your post, it is definitely not okay to make fun of someone else culture and language.

I guess forgetting my origins was easier for me than being proud of it. Now, I need to forget that the shape of my eyes does not define who I am and the snarky comments and insults I get or the frustrated looks from employees says more about them than it says about me. I know who I am and that’s the most important thing. You said you were tired of fighting for Asian people and you are definitely not alone in this one.

• Reply to: A bigger nightmare   1 year 5 months ago

Hi BR, I really like how you introduce your points! It is true that too many crimes happened because firearms were too easy of access. There should really be stricter laws to avoid other tragic events like that to occur again. I found that the system is not serious about taking his license for only 3 days after having done something like that. I also think that there is another issue with the system, the rehabilitation of soldiers coming back from war. In psychology, I learned that many soldiers come back with PTSD (Post-traumatic stress disorder) and when there is too much stress they fall into depression or commit crimes as the one you have reported. Crimes like this one are likely to happen when the person is in a flashback state where his senses get distorted and they can no longer make the difference between reality and what is not real. If he had better treatment for this mental issue, I think it would not have happened. Here is an article from a reliable source from a governmental website who explain PTSD and its implication in crimes.
    Source: http://www.ptsd.va.gov/professional/co-occurring/research_on_ptsd_and_vi...

• Reply to: In the Name of “Honour”…   1 year 5 months ago

Your news summary does an excellent job at explaining the consequences of the events that happened between the two presidents. The article is also very well summarized as I did not feel that it was repeating itself, boring or long to read. As someone who is also from East Asian ancestry, I completely agree on your standpoint. I always felt that there is always an ongoing competition between the East Asian countries to be number one especially China that hold tightly to its crown. Even back then, the countries never got along and fought war against each other. China, South Korea, Japan and Taiwan all have conflicts between each other. I find it a shame that they never and most likely never will consider to collaborate instead of fighting each other despite coming from the same roots.

• BR
    Reply to: A bomb from the past   1 year 5 months ago

First of all, I would like to say that it was a really good topic to choose. In my opinion the final anecdote gave it the tone of the analysis to your article. Also, I like the organizational pattern and also that you added another case that made it clearer to understand. It is sad to think that this issue is still constantly happening day after day. I can relate to that as well because of my country of origin, Venezuela. When I was younger I used to live there and every time that there was a socio-economical problem people used to manifest with violence. I remember that there were days that we had to stay at home because of the tear gas that was running through the streets. People don’t really know how it feels going through that situation and you explained the feeling very well. I would be more careful when writing as there are some mistakes in your article with the conjugation of verbs and the structure of the sentence. Overall, I think you did a really good job.

• Reply to: All Subjects are Subject to Bias   1 year 5 months ago

I think you raise a good point about the dangers surrounding polarised media outlets, such as Breitbart, but I feel that the article you summarised, and you yourself didn't go far enough. It seems to me that Breitbart functions more like a propaganda machine than a Journalistic news source, though I admit the line between the two is rather opaque.
    As someone who falls far left on the political system and someone who pointedly disagrees with just about every issue Breitbart has meddled themselves into, I realise my bias, which as you said is something constantly and consistently in play, has definitely become part of the conversation. That being said, I believe I must still address the elephant in the room, but I’ll get to that a bit later on.
    I am an avid reader, particularly of anything related to the organisation of societies and civilisations, I consider my self a history bluff, in that there is still so much more for me to glean from the mistakes of our ancestors, and from what I’ve manager to learn, for thousands of years the world operated on a few simple rules:
    1. Might makes Right
    2. Power Corrupts and Absolute Power Corrupts Absolutely
    This is solely my cynical perspective, but if you humour me for a second and consider that in that last few hundred years, Might has shifted from solely Military Strength to other areas like Information and Money, you’ll notice something very interesting.
    Now I shall get to my point. Forgetting any political-ideological aspect, Breitbart is a For-Profit news source, meaning the bottom line is to make more money, and this presents an issue for the integrity of its “news.” To make more money, Breitbart would need to gain more readers, and by extension get more people talking specifically about Breitbart. Essentially the goal is to become a monopoly, but as you might recall, Absolute power corrupts absolutely, hence you could say that Breitbart was founded on an ill intentions. Note Breitbart is not alone in this crime, merely the loudest of the lot. Going further, if you liken Breitbart to a virus that uses news and articles simply to grow larger, it becomes easy to see it as a propaganda machine that operates on a self-serving objective. On the other hand, I would liken the ideal media source to be like a plant seed, instead subsisting off the readers, it would require effort from the readers to “cultivate” it in a sense.

For those who made it this far, I must thank you for reading. I Really encourage you to send my way your own opinions to further the conversation.

• Reply to: American Healthcare System Needs to Change   1 year 5 months ago

Your content is very good and has lots of information that really helps prove that your opinion is the right opinion. From personal experience from family living in the United States and visiting, I have had a few encounters with the American health care system for example a family member who was injured while on vacation was not able to afford to pay for the treatment he needed so we were forced to send him money to pay for a treatment to fix his broken leg. So in the end I do agree with having healthcare that is free or cheeper. Although this also does have its disadvanteges such as higher taxes and longer lines because of the fact that it is free and people will go to the hospital for whatever reason. In the end I do think that the advantages out way the disadavantes and I think you have a valid point.

• Reply to: Mental Health in Journalism and Media   1 year 5 months ago

I completely agree with your article. I think that the media has definitely done a bad job at covering stories on not only people who suffer from mental illnesses, but also studies on mental illness. I also agree with the fact that the tone used to describe people with mental illnesses is often negative and badly portrays the topic.

On the point that you mentioned that the media has to educate people on these kinds of issues, I would also like to add that people are often unaware of ableism (which is the term used to describe discrimination against people who are handicapped, ill or suffer from mental health problems). Racism and sexism are somewhat well covered by the mainstream media, and especially by liberal news organizations, and news related to these topics usually spark a discussion on social media, but ableism seems to still not be considered by the media. I have definitely met a lot of people who saw no problem with using the word 'retarded' as an insult because "ableism doesn't exist", even though that word directly refers to people who are mentally challenged. I have also heard words such as 'autistic', 'dumb', 'hysterical', 'crazy', 'schizo', 'insane', etc. being thrown around, often negatively, which really breaks my hear whenever I hear anything of the sort because it shows just how insensitive people are on the topic of mental health. I am not personally mentally ill or physically handicapped, I can only imagine how disheartening for people who are already not taken seriously to see names for their conditions used as jokes or negative expressions.