Member Comments

• Reply to: A bigger nightmare   1 year 1 month ago

Hi BR, I really like how you introduce your points! It is true that too many crimes happened because firearms were too easy of access. There should really be stricter laws to avoid other tragic events like that to occur again. I found that the system is not serious about taking his license for only 3 days after having done something like that. I also think that there is another issue with the system, the rehabilitation of soldiers coming back from war. In psychology, I learned that many soldiers come back with PTSD (Post-traumatic stress disorder) and when there is too much stress they fall into depression or commit crimes as the one you have reported. Crimes like this one are likely to happen when the person is in a flashback state where his senses get distorted and they can no longer make the difference between reality and what is not real. If he had better treatment for this mental issue, I think it would not have happened. Here is an article from a reliable source from a governmental website who explain PTSD and its implication in crimes.

• Reply to: In the Name of “Honour”…   1 year 1 month ago

Your news summary does an excellent job at explaining the consequences of the events that happened between the two presidents. The article is also very well summarized as I did not feel that it was repeating itself, boring or long to read. As someone who is also from East Asian ancestry, I completely agree on your standpoint. I always felt that there is always an ongoing competition between the East Asian countries to be number one especially China that hold tightly to its crown. Even back then, the countries never got along and fought war against each other. China, South Korea, Japan and Taiwan all have conflicts between each other. I find it a shame that they never and most likely never will consider to collaborate instead of fighting each other despite coming from the same roots.

• BR
    Reply to: A bomb from the past   1 year 1 month ago

First of all, I would like to say that it was a really good topic to choose. In my opinion the final anecdote gave it the tone of the analysis to your article. Also, I like the organizational pattern and also that you added another case that made it clearer to understand. It is sad to think that this issue is still constantly happening day after day. I can relate to that as well because of my country of origin, Venezuela. When I was younger I used to live there and every time that there was a socio-economical problem people used to manifest with violence. I remember that there were days that we had to stay at home because of the tear gas that was running through the streets. People don’t really know how it feels going through that situation and you explained the feeling very well. I would be more careful when writing as there are some mistakes in your article with the conjugation of verbs and the structure of the sentence. Overall, I think you did a really good job.

• Reply to: All Subjects are Subject to Bias   1 year 1 month ago

I think you raise a good point about the dangers surrounding polarised media outlets, such as Breitbart, but I feel that the article you summarised, and you yourself didn't go far enough. It seems to me that Breitbart functions more like a propaganda machine than a Journalistic news source, though I admit the line between the two is rather opaque.
    As someone who falls far left on the political system and someone who pointedly disagrees with just about every issue Breitbart has meddled themselves into, I realise my bias, which as you said is something constantly and consistently in play, has definitely become part of the conversation. That being said, I believe I must still address the elephant in the room, but I’ll get to that a bit later on.
    I am an avid reader, particularly of anything related to the organisation of societies and civilisations, I consider my self a history bluff, in that there is still so much more for me to glean from the mistakes of our ancestors, and from what I’ve manager to learn, for thousands of years the world operated on a few simple rules:
    1. Might makes Right
    2. Power Corrupts and Absolute Power Corrupts Absolutely
    This is solely my cynical perspective, but if you humour me for a second and consider that in that last few hundred years, Might has shifted from solely Military Strength to other areas like Information and Money, you’ll notice something very interesting.
    Now I shall get to my point. Forgetting any political-ideological aspect, Breitbart is a For-Profit news source, meaning the bottom line is to make more money, and this presents an issue for the integrity of its “news.” To make more money, Breitbart would need to gain more readers, and by extension get more people talking specifically about Breitbart. Essentially the goal is to become a monopoly, but as you might recall, Absolute power corrupts absolutely, hence you could say that Breitbart was founded on an ill intentions. Note Breitbart is not alone in this crime, merely the loudest of the lot. Going further, if you liken Breitbart to a virus that uses news and articles simply to grow larger, it becomes easy to see it as a propaganda machine that operates on a self-serving objective. On the other hand, I would liken the ideal media source to be like a plant seed, instead subsisting off the readers, it would require effort from the readers to “cultivate” it in a sense.

For those who made it this far, I must thank you for reading. I Really encourage you to send my way your own opinions to further the conversation.

• Reply to: American Healthcare System Needs to Change   1 year 1 month ago

Your content is very good and has lots of information that really helps prove that your opinion is the right opinion. From personal experience from family living in the United States and visiting, I have had a few encounters with the American health care system for example a family member who was injured while on vacation was not able to afford to pay for the treatment he needed so we were forced to send him money to pay for a treatment to fix his broken leg. So in the end I do agree with having healthcare that is free or cheeper. Although this also does have its disadvanteges such as higher taxes and longer lines because of the fact that it is free and people will go to the hospital for whatever reason. In the end I do think that the advantages out way the disadavantes and I think you have a valid point.

• Reply to: Mental Health in Journalism and Media   1 year 1 month ago

I completely agree with your article. I think that the media has definitely done a bad job at covering stories on not only people who suffer from mental illnesses, but also studies on mental illness. I also agree with the fact that the tone used to describe people with mental illnesses is often negative and badly portrays the topic.

On the point that you mentioned that the media has to educate people on these kinds of issues, I would also like to add that people are often unaware of ableism (which is the term used to describe discrimination against people who are handicapped, ill or suffer from mental health problems). Racism and sexism are somewhat well covered by the mainstream media, and especially by liberal news organizations, and news related to these topics usually spark a discussion on social media, but ableism seems to still not be considered by the media. I have definitely met a lot of people who saw no problem with using the word 'retarded' as an insult because "ableism doesn't exist", even though that word directly refers to people who are mentally challenged. I have also heard words such as 'autistic', 'dumb', 'hysterical', 'crazy', 'schizo', 'insane', etc. being thrown around, often negatively, which really breaks my hear whenever I hear anything of the sort because it shows just how insensitive people are on the topic of mental health. I am not personally mentally ill or physically handicapped, I can only imagine how disheartening for people who are already not taken seriously to see names for their conditions used as jokes or negative expressions.

• Reply to: When the Korean Government Forced 120 Women to Become Illegal Prostitutes...   1 year 1 month ago

Your article gives us an interesting outlook on women’s oppression throughout history. It has introduced the reader to the Korean society, and how the women are defined within it; as you have written that the women received no medical aid despite illness, we can conclude they were also dehumanised by the government as disposal tools. I like how you mentioned specifically that Asian women were socially taught to think that they are inferior to men. You wrote that all over Asian women are labeled as inferior, but I cannot entirely agree. I am of various Asian descent, and in some part of my culture what you state is the unavoidable truth. However, in my Hokkien roots, women are considered to be equivalent to men, if not superior. This belief derives from our history because women were known to be courageous and capable when the Hokkien tribes were fleeting from one area to another. It is not only because Hokkien women are historically known to provide for their family that they are well acknowledged by their male counterparts, but also because the men recognise and respect all works categorized as “maternal”— cooking, nurturing, cleaning.

When I read your post I was reminded of another historical event which could possibly relate to this one. During World War 2, Korean women and Chinese women were used as “comfort women” by the Japanese empire, meaning that they were used as prostitutes for the soldiers. Many conflicts between the countries have risen from this horrendous event, but in most cases, the people have said that the issue should be forgotten because it happened during a time of war, hence considered “normal”. Yet, I like to think how because the issue remained unresolved it continued again: history repeats itself. So, as your articles says it, in the 1960’s and 1970’s the government of Korea itself decided to illegally make their own female citizens prostitutes for American soldiers.

• Reply to: Free cancer at the most popular fast foods !   1 year 1 month ago

Hello! Very interesting post, I learned many things about fast food packaging that I did not know about and it made me aware of the dangers of eating fast food too often and what the impact is on our immune system!

Also, I could relate with your article, since I have experienced three cancers among my family members, two that have been fatal, and my father has experienced thyroid problems for many years, causing him to lose spots of hair on his skull, which is called Alopecia. Meaning that this situation is something I will consider more often than before, since I have a fragile background concerning cancers and thyroid complications.

Since I was a little a girl, my mother has always been very aware and cautious of what ate and made sure to buy non-chemical products to ensure maximum health, but as I could see in your article, we are always exposed to these vicious chemicals, whether we like it or not, even if we are careful. Fortunately, as you mentioned, there are solutions that can help us reduce our consumption of fast food, putting our care for our immune system first, and I will surely follow these suggestions.

Keep up the good work!

• Reply to: Facebook: A Solution to the End of Fake News?   1 year 1 month ago

First off, I like the way you structured your text. Every paragraph has a cathegory of its own. More importantly, I liked how you did not miss any important parts of the article. For instance, you took the time to explain what CrowdTangle is, which I thought was great. I rencently did an article similar to yours because I also see the influence Facebook has on all of us. A quick browsing of my news feed would probably show some unreliable news article shared by friends or pages that I have ''liked''. I remember constantly seeing pro-Trump articles that would be shared by ''friends'' on facebook that would discuss crazy subjects like a nuclear war being prepared if Americans would not vote for him. I am sure that I am not the only one that gets confused after seeing these types of articles on my news feed. :O

• Reply to: Animal Lives Matter   1 year 1 month ago

Based on the information from your post, readers are given a clear and understanding view of the main events that occurred in the article you chose. Your post was intriguing because, of just the other day, I read about the movie “A dogs Purpose.” You may not have been aware but there was a video of a dog being abused to conduct certain tasks. Animal cruelty is just as bad on humans as it is for animals, for that reason, people should be charged more than just facing six months in jail, a $2000 fine and a two-year ban from owning a pet. Animal cruelty was bad enough in this movie that he author of the book itself was petitioning to remove the movie from airing worldwide. However, not successful the movie has been receiving a lot of backlash about animal cruelty. For more information to further interest you, here is a link to Terry’s Law which describes more on the law against animal cruelty;