Member Comments

• Reply to: The Extinction of Wilderness.   2 days 14 hours ago

I think that the wildlife extinction is a very interesting issue that we need to worry about. Animals are very affected by human behaviours, and we need to protect them as much as we can. You wrote a good summary, and for your next summary, you should maybe divide you text into paragraphs. I think you came up with a good point by saying that humans are selfish and and focus on their well-being only. Waste is also a big part on our modern society, and we need to be aware of our consumption and its impact on the environment.
    After reading your text, I looked on the Internet to find an article that was linked to your subject. I wanted to find a little bit more statistics about this issue. I found a very interesting web page that said that : “ «Extinction is now proceeding thousands of times faster than the production of new species,» biologist E.O. Wilson writes. Between 30 and 50 percent of all known species are expected to go extinct by 2050, if current trends hold.” (Ketcham, 2015) More statistics and facts can be found in the article.
    Link to the article:
    Ketcham, C. (November 14, 2015). Mass Species Extinction and Wilding the Wilderness. Retrieved from:

• Reply to: Environment versus population growth   1 week 6 days ago

This is a very interesting and concerning topic. I agree with you, it is alarming to think that the population is increasing and the resources are decreasing. The whole population of the Earth has to make major changes to improve the condition of our planet. The percentages provide your summary makes us, the readers, realize the situation even better. I also found useful that the Western countries are brought into the subject as it is where we live, so we can relate, and it explains how we are using our resources. With the solutions brought into your summary, was it any good results? Is there other solutions that we can do to improve our way of living or how to solve the overpopulation
    Here is what I found when I did a research.
    This article published by Positive News in July 2017, some solutions to overpopulation could be: education, family plan or minimum children regulations.
    As for easy ways to consume less on our everyday life, some solutions like use public transportation, buy an electric car, compost, have a garden, use less plastic and paper can make a big difference.
    Information retrieved on

• Reply to: Mortality among homeless people   12 months 2 days ago

I think that you will find this article interested.

• Reply to: Mental Health in Journalism and Media   12 months 4 days ago

I know it's been a while since this comment has been here but I just wanted to clarify that throughout what is written in my news summary I have only written about what I found in the news article and podcast, not about what I believe should be changed. While I do however agree with what is mentioned in the podcast I do not mention that in my news summary.

• Reply to: Bullying kills   1 year 4 days ago

I was compelled to read this post because bullying is a serious topic that needs to be considered as the reason young adolescents are becoming troubled. This is a problem that affects most teenagers around the world. When I was back in high school, I had a lot of friends that were bullied by other members in our grade. The pressures of being "skinny" led them to hurt themselves and them having to be hospitalized. I came across a reason why people tend to bully others, it's because they might have been bullied themselves in the past.

• Reply to: Geniuses or cheaters?   1 year 4 days ago

I found the topic you chose for this piece is very interesting. Being a fellow college student, I understand the pressure that is placed on you as a student to be the best that you can be. The education system forces you to compete with other students to portray the best academic grades you can achieve. Students tend to cheat on exams because of the overall pressures they have to perform and keep their grades up. When I was in high school, during my grade 10 year, there was a grade 11 student who wrote her public speech on the pressures of education. Her speech went on to winning the gold medal in the national public speaking contest. Her speech allowed for us to see the pressure students have to go through to have a higher final grade them our classmates.

• Reply to: Way of decreasing the incidence of child abuse and neglect.   1 year 4 days ago

The title of your post caught my attention right away. Great work on introducing this topic and allowing for more people to know more about this topic. Out of all the articles that I've come across, I have not seen any other topics on this issue. Overall, this article was well written and I would love to learn more about this topic.

• SVL
    Reply to: Keeping Up with Fake News   1 year 1 week ago

I genuinely appreciate your comment and how passionate you are about this subject, but in my defence, I never intended to write an essay or a complete analysis on the issue of "fake news". My goal was to write a news summary explaining the mistake a newspaper did which is why there is only "one proof".

• SVL
    Reply to: Racial Bias in America: We Need to Talk   1 year 1 month ago

Your article hit a nerve with me, in a good way. Your writing shows how passionate you are about your subject and I do love how you start this post with a personal anecdote. It is a nice way to have a little bit background on where you are coming from (what experience made you have this position in this article).

I remember when I was younger, my brother and I were playing at a park when someone started pretending to speak Chinese to us. What do I say? How do I act? How do I pretend this never happen? I was absolutely embarrassed from being put in this sort of position. I, for once, will be the first to admit that for the longest time, I was ashamed of being an Asian. From this point, I started to despise my black hair and wished my eyes were a different color than my current boring brown ones. I hated how the fact you were not “white” made you automatically an outsider. That somehow, you could not understand other people’s problems and issues. I had to remind them we all go through some shit (sorry for the language) no matter what skin color you have or where do you come from. And like you say in your post, it is definitely not okay to make fun of someone else culture and language.

I guess forgetting my origins was easier for me than being proud of it. Now, I need to forget that the shape of my eyes does not define who I am and the snarky comments and insults I get or the frustrated looks from employees says more about them than it says about me. I know who I am and that’s the most important thing. You said you were tired of fighting for Asian people and you are definitely not alone in this one.

• Reply to: A bigger nightmare   1 year 1 month ago

Hi BR, I really like how you introduce your points! It is true that too many crimes happened because firearms were too easy of access. There should really be stricter laws to avoid other tragic events like that to occur again. I found that the system is not serious about taking his license for only 3 days after having done something like that. I also think that there is another issue with the system, the rehabilitation of soldiers coming back from war. In psychology, I learned that many soldiers come back with PTSD (Post-traumatic stress disorder) and when there is too much stress they fall into depression or commit crimes as the one you have reported. Crimes like this one are likely to happen when the person is in a flashback state where his senses get distorted and they can no longer make the difference between reality and what is not real. If he had better treatment for this mental issue, I think it would not have happened. Here is an article from a reliable source from a governmental website who explain PTSD and its implication in crimes.