Member Comments

• Reply to: Coal 'Trumps' Protected Lands   4 years 1 month ago

I am shocked that Trump gives himself the right to define what “American” is and what is not. Especially knowing that he considers that “being American” includes destroying nature. But is this so surprising when it comes from him, a person who does not believe that climate change is a real thing? Additionally, as the article Conservation and Protection of Canadian’s Forest on the Canadian government’s web site claims, nation parks and protected areas are essential for the conservation of biodiversity and ecosystems. This article insists on the explanation of how the protection and the conservation of our forest are important. There is many interesting information on how these particular territories are managed, but also how the non-protected forest should be seen. These territories are rich for scientific research and that is what makes a big part of our identity as Canadians. When people come for visiting our country and says they want to see our environment, in showing national parks, we can say: “That is what we are living in.” It is a national pride. It should be… Since the United States’ lands are close form Canada’s and that we are as much American as they are, I allow myself to think that national parks are as much more important for biodiversity and ecosystems as it is for us. The idea of scarifying these protected lands to the profit of coal extraction is ironic because as people know, coal energy is far from being a renewable source of energy, and far from being good for the ecosystems that are supposed to be protected. Thus, the extraction itself will destruct these lands, but the energy made of it will result in the destruction of even more territories.
    Here is the link for the whole Canadian government’s article: http://www.nrcan.gc.ca/forests/canada/conservation-protection/17501

• Reply to: Sexual Harassment in the Streets   4 years 9 months ago

I appreciated your newspaper article summary as it served as an eye-opener to the problem of sexual harassment that is constantly occurring in our world. I especially liked it when you said, “It is not an occurrence that may be easily reported (if it is reported at all).” Sexual harassment is a very sensitive topic as you mentioned and it is so easy to become a victim and to feel a sense of embarrassment or shame and not want to report it. Unfortunately, my best friend has been a victim to sexual harassment as a man on a bus rubbed himself against her and inappropriately touched her without her consent. She did not know what to do in the moment. It was a feeling of disbelief that something like that happened to her and she left after without saying anything to him. Personally, I felt enraged that someone could take advantage of her and that no one seemed to have seen anything. However, the shock from that traumatic experience wore off as she was able to contact the police, but she ended up dropping the charges because as time progressed she believed it did not matter. Many victims feel this way and do not report the incidents because they feel like it would not change anything; however, I disagree. Therefore, I am so glad to have read your summary as you have provided me with information on the non-profit organization, Hollaback, where people are able to write about their experiences and how to be more cautious around others. I am definitely going to provide my friend with this new information as the experience may still be haunting her, and it can help her cope better. In addition, although I have learnt what sexual harassment is in my Criminology classes, I appreciated the fact that you gave the definition of the term as it allows people to become more aware of what exactly is happening to many people in the world.

• Reply to: concussions a serious issue?   4 years 9 months ago

I really enjoyed reading your newspaper article summary as I did not have much prior knowledge about concussions. You really emphasised the issue about awareness about concussions. It is important for individuals, especially athletes who play hockey or football, to be cautious and to make sure and check if they actually do have concussions, as you said many of them do not even realize they do. Also, you mentioned the possible damage to the brain if they go untreated and the precautionary measures being put in place to find better headgear. However, the article you used was taken from The Sports Journal, which is the journal from the United States Sports Academy. I would use a more reliable source such as The New York Times, which has an article concerning the same issue of the damages caused by concussions in athletes. This mainstream newspaper has been publishing articles since 1851 and has won 117 Pulitzer Prizes. The article that can help provide further details about concussions and their damages to athletes' brains is, "What Happened Within This Player's Skull" written by Sam Borden, Mika Grondahl, and Joe Ward. These authors are all responsible for providing reports on issues regarding athletics. This article provides the readers with a video of the impact of the brain injury, as well as a virtual diagram of the skull and what the effects are. It also presents the readers with charts on the amount of force struck on the athletes' head, which can result in brain disease. I think you will find this article very interesting as it provides more facts for your summary, as well as better general knowledge about the issue.
    To access this article, consult the source below:

• Reply to: Racist Shooting: A Problem Far From Being Solved   4 years 9 months ago

I was completely in shock when I read your newspaper article summary, as I had not heard of this injustice. Racism is definitely an issue in our society, and specifically in the United States. I am glad that the shooting in Florida has been brought to my attention, as I believe in justice for everybody no matter what his or her race is. I enjoyed your summary as it provided me with the important details of the incident, such as the fact that the victim told the police officer that he was unarmed, yet did not stop them from firing at him. The source you chose from was The Guardian which I believe to be a credible news source, however it was written by Amanda Hulpoch who, from my own research on LinkedIn, has only worked as a reporter for Guardian News & Media. Her main focus at this company is to write enterprise pieces about North America; however, her interests include issues pertaining to technology, health, religion, and culture. When looking for the utmost reliable source, I would recommend a mainstream newspaper company with minimal bias and whose pieces, such as in this case, be written by an individual who specializes in that area of expertise.
    I found an article, which addresses the same issue you covered, from The New York Times, which I believe to be a credible news source because it has been publishing newspaper articles since 1851 and has won 117 Pulitzer Prizes, which is the most prizes won by any newspaper. The article is, "North Miami Police Officers Shoot Man Aiding Patient With Autism" written by Niraj Chokshi. The author is credible as he is the general assignment reporter at The New York Times and prior to this, he worked for The Washington Post where he was responsible for reporting state government affairs. The source provides the readers with a video of the victim explaining the whole incident, as well as a statement from the American Civil Liberties Union of Florida. This content can add further detail to your summary as the story comes from the victim himself, as well as the union that wishes to come up with a solution to the issue at hand.
    For further information, consult the article using the source below:

• Reply to: The Escalating Racial Problem   5 years 1 week ago

This article caught my attention and was captivating immediately after reading the title and the first sentence. This post made me think about how African-Canadians and African-Americans are still unfairly treaded even though we live in a society that doesn’t condone it but authorities such as white police officers or often accused of treating black people in a bias way. I found it very interesting that the data collected by the article has a very high percentage for each ethnic group. I was very astonished that they haven’t found a solution to fix this or that greater authorities aren’t putting a stop to this. I must agree with the fact mentioned by the author that a white suspect in a community that has predominantly black people give off a different impression than if it would be the opposite. I think this is unfair! In our class, we watch a TED talk about racial bias that white police officers often have with suspect that are black and how black people must live in fear of getting arrested for silly things. These days some white police officers have the tendency to put their guard up or become more aggressive when a black person is involved in a crime. As well as they tend to make assumption that black people are automatically guilty. We must put an end to this trend and this stereotype so they can stop living in fear!

• Reply to: The Escalating Racial Problem   5 years 1 week ago

• Reply to: Ending Terrorism in America   5 years 1 month ago

The post “Ending Terrorism in America” made me think about an issue I hadn’t considered before and didn’t realize the magnitude of the problem. I was also surprised that the United-States didn’t start preventing these terrorist attacks from the beginning and still haven’t found to this day a solution to prevent these attacks that they have been dealing with. When you mentioned that the terrorists were Muslim it made me think about how some people are labeling Muslims as terrorist. In our class we are taught a lot about stereotypes. A popular stereotype among Muslims is that they are continuously labeled by certain people as being terrorist because of events such as 9/11 and the Boston Bombing. We have also talked in class about the fact that after 9/11 in particular a large number of people started associating Muslims with terrorism which is completely wrong in my opinion and is totally generalizing and making assumptions that all Muslims are terrorist. I do not agree with you that the United-States should temporarily ban Muslims from entering their country and I also don’t think it will prevent terrorist attacks from happening. In my opinion that may cause an unnecessary issue between countries that are Muslim and the United- States.

• Reply to: Should Orcas Be Kept in Captivity?   5 years 2 months ago

Very interesting subject, well organized article, well written, I only have positive comments regarding this incredible article. Orcas kept in captivity is also a subjects that touches me and I find it disgusting that Sea World uses these gigantic and impressive creatures as a mean to an end in order to make money over their unhappiness. These animals are tortured every single second of their existence. They should be swimming in the vast ocean with their families not in small tanks that are making them mad and crazy. However, what do you think of animal kept in zoos? Could you compare it with orca’s kept in captivity?

• Reply to: Police Brutality: Does Black Lives Matte   5 years 2 months ago

This is a very taught provoking article that caught my attention because of the interesting issue that you treated and how you organized your article. White supremacy and racism is extremely present in our modern society, mostly in the United States. I believe that human beings are all equal and that putting one race above the others in order to be and feel more powerful, is unethically wrong. Black lives do matter and police brutality towards black people should not occur in 2016. We all matter, regardless of our nationality, religion or skin colour, because at the end, we are all the same. Equality is something that should be given to all of us. However, if the situation was inverted, do you think black policeman would practise racism over white people because of all the power they would obtain?

• Reply to: Should we stop eating meat in order to save the planet?   5 years 2 months ago

The quality of your post is impressive. Evoking title, good structure, interesting subject… You post gives a really good perspective of how the meat industry is killing our environment.
    I also believe that the meat industry as gone too far and that it has negative impacts on our environment, but also on humans. Animals are killed brutally in order to satisfy our needs which is cruel. And thousands of human beings are obligated to work in insoluble work places in order to satisfy their basic needs. Should we impose these non-ethical conditions to our people as a society? However, I am also not a vegetarian, but I do not consume meat everyday and I try to eat aliments that are cruelty free, which is hard to find. I believe that if people try to consume just a little less meat, it would be an amazing thing and a right ethical choice. But do you think we could actually change the habits of our society?