NewsActivism- Champlain College St. Lambert, Winter 2013

About this class

This class asks each student to blog about news in the world that calls for action. As the semester progresses, the student's blog develops focus and clarity about certain issues and the ways organizations and academics pursue progress. Students may volunteer or do interviews and academic research to further understanding of how individuals can attempt to change the news they read.

Collaborations with students in the course "Globalization" from SUNY Brockport will allow for students' perspectives to broader around issues that matter to them.

by christinem on August 31, 2013
Since the redaction of my super-post, I have been writing about violence and corruption caused by the Mafia and street gangs. In my previous posts, I have been elaborating about different strategies to end this violence such as spreading awareness about the dimension of this phenomenon to adults and children, Montreal Anti-Corruption Squad, finding the roots of organized crimes in the heart of our governments as well as investing more money into researches and investigations about this issue.

by christinem on August 31, 2013
On Wednesday the 24th of April 2013, a sixth arrest was made by Monreal Anti-Corruption Squad concerning the issue of the construction of the McGill Superhospital in Montreal. Yohann Elbaz, who worked at McGill University Health Center (MUHC), was arrested and is currently facing 16 charges involving “fraud and money-laundering related to the awarding of contracts by the MUHC’s public-private partnership”.

1,075 | 1 | 0
by christinem on August 31, 2013
 On the 14th of April 2013, journalist and reporter Nada Mohamed was verbally and publically harassed by minister of information and member of the Muslim brotherhood Salah Abdel Maqsoud. In a conference that was diffused on national TV, the reporter asked the minister a question that he did not seem to appreciate. She said: “Mr. Minister, where is the freedom [you are talking about], when journalists are dying and getting beaten everywhere?” Maqsoud answered laughing without any hesitation “Come here and I'll show you”.

by NathalieG on May 17, 2013
Two summers ago, I met this guy.  He was cute and sweet.  He was two years younger than I was, which explained why I had never seen him around school.

1,577 | 1 | 0
by christinem on May 17, 2013
At the very beginning of the semester, the major part of my posts was about Egypt, because there were a lot of controversial issues happening there. Most of my posts described the explicit and unacceptable violence and corruption growing in Egypt since the reign of the Muslim Brotherhood. What I found most intriguing is that the more I read about this issue, the more I was able to discern a correlation between the corruption that was being propagated and the increasing rate of violence. I was absolutely fascinated by this issue and I wanted to learn more about it throughout the year.

by Alextstlaurent on May 15, 2013
The volunteer work.Out of this class, I consider volunteer work to be essential, no matter what form it takes. It is what binds people together, create positive non-monetary outcomes for everybody and is done only by purity of heart.

1,055 | 0 | 0
by Terreros14 on May 14, 2013
  Motivation Violence related to guns and weapons is a growing issue. Many violent crimes are committed and people who shouldn’t own guns are too easily able to purchase them. Gun control is the best way to insure that weapons are put into the right hands because background checks would indicate how the individual purchasing acted in the past. Methods In order to get my results, I read and analyzed three articles about the Gun Control issues. It gave me statistics and helped show whether gun control would have an impact on criminality or not. Results

by JulianLa on May 14, 2013
Despite many attempts to better privacy around the world, It is still something that is being overlooked by many and something needs to be done about it. Privacy is a right that concerns everyone and that should be followed. Technology is the main cause for what privacy is facing in this day and age. To get results and get informed on privacy, I searched up academic articles relating to many different aspects of privacy relating to technology. Using what I learned I wrote an essay on privacy and how technology affects it.

by Amina_C on May 14, 2013
Through the semester, I have been working on news summary related to the issue of LGBT in the world. I was shocked to see that so many urbanized countries still legalize homophobic laws such as in Ukraine where the government considered legalizing a law banning the talk of homosexuality in the Media. I therefore began browsing for issue on LGBT in general, and after doing summaries about LGBT in the U.S.

by Amina_C on May 14, 2013

by Terreros14 on May 14, 2013
Violence has always been part of societies. As far as we can remember, violent incidents sometimes occur and it is difficult to prevent them. In today’s society, crimes are more violent and difficult to control because of the number of weapons and dangerous arms available. People feel the need to protect themselves from criminals and the best way, according to many people, is to have weapons to defend themselves. In the United States, it is easy to go to a store, buy a gun or a knife without any questions asked and go back home.

3,542 | 0 | 0
by cthiemonge on May 14, 2013
Since I did my super post on the euro crisis, I have been wondering why is the economic crisis touching them so hard and for so long, without any great improvement for some countries. Is it because there is a similar currency; is the euro good, or bad for Europe? In this essay I will be arguing why similar currencies are good or bad. For example, would a universal currency reduce the risks of debts and is it achievable?

by finley.n on May 14, 2013
This semester, my news summaries began with a great concentration on issues of crime and law. It was an interesting and intriguing topic, especially due to the immense attention the United States was receiving in the media about deadly shootings in their country. The first article summarized talked about how the strong United States was losing its’ power due to the unregulated gun control. It focused on a shooting that happened just after the Sandy hook shooting at a college in Texas, where access to a gun is easy.

1,281 | 0 | 0
by mouna8 on May 14, 2013
During the semester, I have been posting several articles concerning diverse issues around the world. The subject that I was always ending up posting about is health. In my superpost, I wrote about breast cancer, which again is related to health, and writing about it make me think about volunteering in a hospital to help and support people that are suffering from cancer by entertaining them. I found different hospitals that had volunteering opportunities but they were all facing one common problem.

1,242 | 0 | 0
by Yuan-Ku Luo on May 13, 2013
After writing so much about animals, like my superpost(http://newsactivist.com/node/1472) about animal rights that discuss this debate in different perspectives, and also inspired by Peter Singe’s utilitarian point of view on animal rights & animal testing(http://newsactivist.com/content/peter-singer-utilitarian-philosopher-yal...).

by chelsea-martin on May 13, 2013
Over the course of the semester, I have been extremely interested in, and wrote about the issue of health. I feel that health is a problem in our society and is extremely important to be aware of. I have written about many topics under this issue, such as cancer, the effects of caffeine on unborn children, and new medical treatments. There are many reasons to explain why I chose health as my focus, one being because I feel it is important to make people aware of what is going on in the world, what is changing, and what can help them.

by sandrinedoucet on May 13, 2013
The past two decades have proved that there are many gaps within the health care system in North America. This paper identifies the discrimination that patients are victims of in order to bring awareness to this problem. Through the use of three academic journals and many news stories, the subject is deeply explored and explained. The patients’ points of views as well as the professional staff’s opinions are overseen to cover the issue in its entirety. The overall findings of this essay are that minority ethnicities and races are discriminated the most.

by pierre7luc on May 13, 2013
Final project: Volunteering During the last months I have been writing articles about my biggest concern which is technology and health. My articles where focusing on how technology affect our everyday life and the issues related to it. According to that, I found an organization that would really appreciate my help. It is called PANDA (for Regroupement des associations de parents PANDA du Québec). This organism provide solutions and help to the parents and children who have a attention disorder with or without hyperactivity disorder as well.

by pierre7luc on May 13, 2013
For the New Activist final project, I have chosen to do volunteer work in an organisation called PANDA. PANDA stands for Regroupement des associations de parents PANDA du Québec. My volunteer work consist of many things all involved in the technology domain, which is the main theme of almost all my articles and post during the semester. On the 23 april, I took pictures of an event called "Est-ce qu'on peut avoir votre attention svp?" which was a dinner where the association was presenting their new spokesperson, the artist and humorist Philippe Laprise.

5 years 5 months ago

You have research a very troubling issue, I think it’s great that you care about it. I have also research about mental illness and I found that the younger the individual develops a mental illness, the longer it will last and it has a higher chance of resulting in other disorders. In addition, it’s true what you say that some cases of bullying can lead to suicide. I recently volunteered at an aboriginal shelter where most of their participants have experienced sever bullying from society as a whole and still to this day, they're struggling with their mental well-being. It is important to address the issue of bullying and the negative effects it has on the individual.

5 years 5 months ago

Your topic is very interesting as well as extremely important to everyday life! I agree with you that treating mental illnesses with drugs is not the best way to approach the situation. For example, I volunteered at an Aboriginal Shelter (Projets Autochtones du Quebec) and I learned that the shelter's staff refuses to associate their participants with drugs. Instead, they use positive reinforcement such as activities to boost their self-esteem, this helps them keep a positive outlook on their lives.

Reply to: Child's right
5 years 5 months ago

I think it’s really great that you will be volunteering at The Montreal Children’s Hospital! I have read a couple of post on the news about music therapy and for some it really does work. Research says that some children felt that the music therapy was a great way to express their feelings towards their illness. I recently volunteered at an Aboriginal shelter (Projets Autochtones du Quebec) and I found that the shelter itself helped the participants cope with their mental illness. I think that there are a variety of unique copying strategies!

Reply to: Child's right
5 years 5 months ago

5 years 5 months ago

I think your project is awesome! I have don’t a lot of research on childhood sexual abuse and the long-term effects, and I have to agree with you that females are seen as victims and males are seen as the abusers. I learnt from your post that 10% of rape cases are associated with males being the victim. Yes, it is fairly low considered to the female statistic but the negative outcomes on the victim’s psychological health are still the same. I understand that a majority of the time females fall victim however, just because it is less likely that a man will get raped does not mean that education on the incident shouldn't be available.I found this article about a man that was possibly raped by another man this passed Tuesday, April 19. There are more and more cases of males falling victim to rape and as a result, this creates more awareness but not enough research on how this can be dealt with. I think your project is very beneficial to mental health research.

Link to article: http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/rape...

5 years 5 months ago

You project seems well thought out, your motives have good intentions and I think the PAQ would really benefit from your suggestions.
Interestingly, I have recently volunteered at the PAQ and are scheduled to return every Friday for the month of May, and I have to say that you mentioned some of the reasons as to why I even volunteered at the PAQ. However, I was not aware that they did not have any data available on their website about how many participants they receive yearly. I find this shocking because they do keep a record each day of every participant that enters the shelter. I initially wanted to offer my service to update their website after I volunteer. My intentions were to emphasize on the services that they offer to aboriginals, how the shelter is in need of additional support and how volunteers can offer their services.
I have a suggestion. I don’t think it is necessary to have yearly data on how many participants stay at the shelter. From what I've learned about the PAQ, by speaking to the staff and the participants, is that even though a majority of them are “regulars” there are days which the shelter will have no more than two participants and some days were there is not enough room for half of the people lined up outside the PAQ doors. This can be a result of many variables including that some aboriginals where discouraged to return because they happen to visit the shelter the day that it was jam-packed. I think that more education should be emphasized on the services that the PAQ offers and how the community can offer their support.

5 years 6 months ago

I am really glad that you chose to write about homeless because not enough awareness is going around about the homeless population. What some people fail to acknowledge is that homeless people are still in fact, people. They can still feel, think, and develop mental illnesses. I believe that some homeless are dying at such a young age because they become homeless in their early years and over time, they develop mental health issues that negatively affect the way they think and act, evidently making them more likely to make bad decision that can lead to death. I have linked a document that mentions how mental illness can affect a person’s mind and influence them to make life threatening decisions. I am currently volunteering at a homeless shelter in Montreal, Quebec and I interact with the participants there who suffer from addictions and mental health issues that are at times refused entry to the shelter because they are a threat to others and can put the staff and other participants in harm’s way.
Link: http://www.mooddisorderscanada.ca/documents/Media%20Room/Quick%20Facts%2...

5 years 6 months ago

I agree with your statement that for some, early sexual relationships can lead to the development of mental health issues. I have read the short novel titled “Coping with Childhood Abuse” by Judith Cooney and I can confirm that an early sexual experience can cause post-traumatic stress disorder, anxiety, depression, behavioural issues with anger, and many other disorders and psychological illnesses. I found an article that is about a study on 649 male and female students addressing early sexual activities and the possible developments of behavioural problems. I decided to link you to an article that explains the possible behavioural outcomes because the typical negative effects brought on by early sexual relations are those associated with the psychological aspect. I believe that the physical outcomes are just as important because behavioural problems can develop into habits.
Link: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2729765/

5 years 6 months ago

Link: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2729765/

5 years 6 months ago

I like that you are choosing to addressing a very important issue. I to believe that the homeless status leads to a snowball effect, where on bad thing leads to another and another and another. Similarly to you in the US, we in Montreal we are facing the same issue. I found an article from the online journal called The Mental Health Special Issue. It explains how Montreal is dealing with the same problem but how we have found a method of prevention or solution. I Downtown Montreal we have a YMCA booth that sets out to help at risk teen find shelters, soup kitchens, and mental health services. The article strongly emphasizes that teens who are homeless find themselves dealing with mental disorders, addictions and tendencies to partake in prostitution or crimes. If you are interested in learning about possible solution to this world wide issue of youth homelessness I suggest you read this article.
Link: http://thelinknewspaper.ca/article/5897

I'm a Humanities Teacher at Champlain College, Saint-Lambert and the designer and founder of Newsactivist. Between 2007 and the present, I've developed a course, Newsactivist, which asked students to blog about the news that they felt showed parts of the world in need of improvement.