Gun Control in the US and between the UK. An operation between Nottingham Trent University and SUNY Delhi

by MELO 12401 on December 11, 2014
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Z8qNUWekWE&spfreload=10       He was 12 year old with a toy gun, but the orange part of the gun was removed. Did the police have the right to shhot him 6 times? The officer thought he was a 20 year old at first supposedly until checking the young boy.  Will this start another confrontation between cops and their use of power over citizens?

by as164 on December 7, 2014
I would like to add on to my last recent post to give you some more knowledge on my opinion about gun control. I believe citizens should have the right to defend and protect themselves as well as to feel safe and protected. I do not think guns or having guns is the issue that causes crime. I think its whose hands the guns are in. I think guns should be allowed all depending on what type of citizen you are. There fore if you want a gun to feel safe and protected, or for hunting purposes than so be it, you should deffinitley be alowed to have one. Under certain circumstances atleast.

by as164 on December 7, 2014

by AlRook on November 13, 2014
Hi everyone. I'm a student at NTU in the UK. All the debate so far seems to be focusing on US gun rights. A quick question for US and other UK students. Would the UK be a better place is guns were as widely available here as in the US (at the moment they're restricted to the police, hunting and farming. Criminal use is thankfully very low). Would UK citizens be happier and safer if gun ownership levels reached the same levels of the US? Would we have less government abuses? Any thoughts?

2,676 | 8 | 0

HI

by David Botbyl on November 5, 2014
Hello, my name is David Botbyl and i am a student of SUNY Delhi. I live in Hobart, New York where i commute to the school. I am majoring in Criminal Justice and am on my last year of college for my associates degree. I hope to become a police officer in a populated city where i can protect people. I am also very protective of our second amendment (right to bear arms).

1,371 | 4 | 0
by as164 on November 5, 2014
My opinion on gun control varies completley. it is very difficult for me to stay just one sided with yes we need guns, or no there should be no guns. I agree guns are used for protection and make people feel much safer even just in their own home. But guns are also used for the wrong reason and can create much problems and harm to people. There have been many problems due to guns in US history. The Columbine, Sandy hook, and Colorado movie theater, are all well known massacares where innocent people died due to putting a gun in the wrong hands.

1,725 | 5 | 0
by David Botbyl on November 3, 2014
I believe that gun control has both positives and negatives. I dont think guns in general should be banned as they were written into our American Constitution for a reason, and it was also stated that it should not be removed for a reason. First I believe we should be able to keep guns to protect ourselves from other people and also an oppressive government.(and also foreign threats)  “A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.” - Second Amendment

by ScottDowning95 on November 3, 2014
Guns are important for many different reasons in America. For one 53% of home owners feels much safer with a gun inside the house.

by tetaroberts79 on October 31, 2014
My name is Teta Roberts. I am a second year General Science student here at SUNY Delhi. I am looking forward to a very interesting learning experience about Gun Control Laws both in the US and the UK.

by MELO 12401 on October 29, 2014
Hi my name is Justin T. Watson. I'm a sophomore at SUNY Delhi, I'm majoring in Liberal Arts/Nursing. I'm from upstate New York (Kingston). I am the oldest of 5 kids and the first in my house hold to attend college. I own my own car and I have a lot of interest in sneakers and sports. I'm a full time college student and I also work three jobs outside of school. I know a lot about sports and I am a huge Carmelo Anthony fan. I like to listen to rap/hip-hop music and I like to have fun. "There's always a time for fun but after all business is taken care of."

by Brianjr11 on October 29, 2014
What's up everybody I'm brian. I'm am a sophomore and my major is business marketing. I play American Football but unfortunately SUNY Delhi does not have a football team. My hobbies are going to the gym and watching movies and t.v. shows. I am american but my nationality is African. I have two younger siblings and I live with them and my parents.

by Asapmarv on October 29, 2014
Whats up everyone my name is marvilio but you can call me marv i am a 6'3 basketball player whose interest in video games such as nba 2k and call of duty.  My parents are from Dominican Republic, but i was born in Miami FL.

by Brandeh94 on October 29, 2014
Hello my name is Brande' Hodge. I love shopping and being fabulous. I love American Government with Professor Johnson!!!!  I major in Biology. I am a microbiology tutor.

by ScottDowning95 on October 29, 2014
Just wanted to say hello to the students at UK! As you already know the United States have different gun laws. I personally favor guns but in many cases they are in the wrong hands creating many issues.

by Julissaj1202 on October 29, 2014
Hi my name is Julissa John and I am  a veterinary science major from Queens New York.

by as164 on October 29, 2014
Hello, my name is Alexis Schuman. I am a sophmore at Suny Delhi. I am on this site for my American Government class. I am 18 years old. My birthday is in December. I have not decided my major yet. I am in general studies. I hope to go into journalism some day.

by KD107 on October 29, 2014
Hey everyone, my name is kevin, im from the catskill mountains in upstate new york. I live on a farm, i am in the U.S Army National Guard and im majoring in criminal justice here at SUNY Delhi. My favorite things to do is hunt, fish, shoot things, and run in demolition derbys. I am what you would call a redneck.

Teacher

3 years 7 months ago

And that is why a background check should be carried on before providing an individual with a gun. Also I think there should be some kind of follow up on the person that the gun was provided just to make sure its not being sold illegally, and a certain number of gun can only be sold to a person.

3 years 7 months ago

3 years 7 months ago

America does not need anymore gun control laws, they just need to enforce the ones we have already.

3 years 7 months ago

citizens in the US have guns in their possession and the government still abuses them. Just having a gun doesn't mean you are going to have complete power over whatever the government does. Due to the restricted laws that comes with owing a gun, wont allow you to stop the government from the abuses.

3 years 8 months ago

Question back to the UK, Globally gun control laws are very strict and gun crime is very low - should the United States consider what works for other countries?

3 years 8 months ago

I stated in one of my earlier posts, that crime in general in the UK did not go down. Based on a research study i found (link in my post). The crime rate has stayed the same and even at one point increased, it just isnt GUN crime. I believe if you're going to commit a crime, youre going to do it. Gun or no gun, knife or no knife, etc. There is crime every where in the world and there always will be as long as there is bad people. Take indigenous tribes in South America for example: They still have murder and what we would describe as "crime" despite the fact they have no guns. I dont think you would necessarily be safer or have less abuse from the government (a this particular time or in the common perception of abuse). Our reason for owning guns and the second amendment right, is not to be safer from people in general but for the chance that a government becomes corrupt. Even if it may not be right now, the future goes on forever and who knows what will happen. I always like to say "Id rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it"

3 years 8 months ago

As a citizen of the US i am used to guns being widely available.Like David said in his earlier comment i would rather have it and not need it then not have it and need it. i don't believe that the UK citizens would be happier if gun ownership reached the same level as the US because people in the UK are not used to owning guns for personal use. I don't believe that there would be less government abuse though because police brutality is a major issue here in the US and police sometimes abuse the rights that they have. Here is a good link that showed police brutality rates in the United States in 2010. http://www.policemisconduct.net/2010-npmsrp-police-misconduct-statistica...

3 years 8 months ago

I don't feel having guns in the UK would make it a better place but infact more dangerous, you guys are so used to not having them to bring them around now would cause chaos. Here in the US having guns is something that has been around forever and it's something we use as protection not everyone around the country but in a lot of places where danger is high. So with that being said no guns would not make the UK a better place but a higher opportunity for danger

3 years 8 months ago

I stated in one of my earlier posts, that crime in general in the UK did not go down. Based on a research study i found (link in my post). The crime rate has stayed the same and even at one point increased, it just isnt GUN crime. I believe if you're going to commit a crime, youre going to do it. Gun or no gun, knife or no knife. There is crime every where in the world and there always will be as long as there is bad people. Take indigenous African tribes in southern america for example: They still have murder and what we would describe as "crime" despite the fact they have no guns. I dont think you would necessarily be safer or have less abuse from the government (a this particular time or in the general definition of abuse) if you misunderstand our reason for guns in the second amendment, it is not to be safer from people in general but from the chance that a government becomes corrupt even if it may not be right now. I always like to say "Id rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it"

Reply to: HI
3 years 8 months ago

Haha exactly i feel the same way about police. I feel they left it with vagueness because, they did not know what the future held, i feel if they made it overly specific for its time then it would not uphold its meaning today. I believe they didn't want it to be overly specific because they didn't care what happened in the future (technology, etc) because the general line, is we should be able to protect ourselves from internal threats and external threats.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
So they believed they should be able to maintain some physical military power as "people" in case the government tries to over power the "people" (which would be a lot easier for the gov. with current tech.) and made it clear that it should never be infringed, meaning you can build upon it but you may not take that right away because it is necessary to keep the people in a free state of the people and to keep the government in line, as to say "Just remember, we have the power, not the other way around, so don't push us or get out of line"

In the Declaration of Independence it states:
"when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government"

This has me believe that we must maintain some form of measurable power against our own country because it is our duty to keep it in line.

The founding fathers of the united states felt weak and unable to fight back under the tyranny from their previous ruler so they wanted to make sure that the power stayed with its people, and that if the time came no matter how far in the future,the people would be able to fight back and keep its citizens free. Overall the Second Amendment is the amendment that gives us "the people" the power to protect all other amendments from corruption.

This is why i believe they would still be supportive of the second amendment, because they knew no matter when or where rulers can become corrupt. But also because they left it vague, they left room and ways to improve the rights to better accommodate change. Thats why i agree with you that there should be some form of restraint to an extent. But i do not believe in abolishing the amendment all together or even to the point where our guns would be useless against the government (if we could only have pistols or small caliber weapons). So yes i agree 100% there should be a better system to accommodate the current era, but still believe in the amendment, its meaning and reason and why its a necessary part of the United States.

Class Subject