Flacks: NewsActivist Winter 2015- Complementary Course

by Francois Pan on January 5, 2016
  Update post of Alternative volunteering: Health-care Symposium Project Summary

by lizzfowler on May 18, 2015
In today’s western society, there are categories that all people must declare that they fit into; man or woman, gay or straight, black or white, for example. People who do not fit into a category, or who do not fit into whatever preferred categories there are at the time, can and will face discrimination and hardships. Around 30 years ago, gay and lesbian citizens were able to earn rights in Canada (and are currently earning rights in the United States to this day) and in doing so faced and still face discrimination, homophobia and slander on a daily basis.

by annelaurenceb on May 15, 2015
Poverty is a global issue that is one of the worst, if not the worst. It is often the cause of many other problems such as access to water, health system problems and epidemic diseases. Even though living in the Western world may seem an easy thing to deal with as it is a common belief that poverty is an issue that does not touch this part of the world, many people will experience homelessness, which is a form of poverty, throughout their lives.

1,047 | 1 | 0
by JRajotte on May 15, 2015
Behind the computer hides an information war. Governments and economic interests are constantly being tested by individuals or international government. In the effort to gather information, every action an individual commits can now be monitored with modern technology. Actions as trivial as taking public transit to using a credit card can all be recorded and stored by various information gathering firms. Some firms even store internet history to understand client’s consumption patterns and tailor advertisements accordingly to browsing habits.

by jpd95 on May 14, 2015
Death is something that not many people look forward to.  Death is one of those things that nobody really knows what happens to the person’s mind.  The unfortunate thing is that death is inevitable.  Everyone dies eventually.  Now some people live longer than others, and some try to preserve their bodies once they die in case science advances to the point where we can bring a person back to life that has been dead for years.  In 2015 this happens all the time.  Famous people and rich people have themselves cryogenically frozen so that science can develop to the point where they can be broug

1,139 | 0 | 0
by audreylegault on May 13, 2015
Racial Profiling: How Research from History, Criminal profiling, and Sociology Can Help the Problem

1,554 | 1 | 0
by Rose D. on May 12, 2015
Today’s society has a problem on it’s hands. Indeed, the lack of women in high positions in scientific disciplines like engineering or mathematics isn’t something that can be ignored. Even  though women perform equally well or even better than men in lower levels of education, when entering the world of work, the gap is widely noticeable.

1,627 | 2 | 0
by PHayes on May 12, 2015
Our world is not perfect and it has never been and it continues to be complex and sometimes impossible to deal with. There are still great conflicts that oppose two extremes and these often translate into bloody wars that many cannot witness without wanting to intervene in some way. Recently, the Syrian civil war and, to some extent, the Second Libyan civil war have both expanded and worsened and we must ask ourselves some fundamental questions in order to find proper solutions to these bloody series of events. Do Western nations have an obligation to act as the world’s police?

by TL13 on May 11, 2015
This semester, I have been writing a lot about crimes happening around the world. It is something that seems to really interest me since I have asked myself this plenty of times, what drives someone to commit a crime knowing that it always comes with repercussions? For example, many of my articles talked about criminals who seemed to not really think things through. Leaving the scene in a hurry in a getaway car and not knowing what to do after. The plan seems so planned out, but once it is done, that is when things usually get complicated for them.

by Raya on May 11, 2015
On the 18th of April 2015 at 2PM, Justice Femme, a non-lucrative organization, put together a meeting that included four panellists and 80 women to talk about how one should defend herself after being threatened on the street for wearing a hijab.

1,507 | 5 | 0
by RayM on May 11, 2015
             During the past few weeks, I have been reading and summarizing news articles about physical activity and health. In fact, it was proven that obesity was due to the lack of exercise and the lack of a healthy diet. Obesity rates have increased rapidly in a short period of time. To put you in perspective, one in four Canadians are obese (Super-Sized 2). Also, obesity rates have increased from 25 to 35 percent for women and from 20 to 35 percent for men between 1988 and 2010 (You Are What You Eat 2).

1,792 | 8 | 0
by MoJo JoJo on May 11, 2015
Education is arguably the most valuable commodity in one’s life and, thus, should be considered an essential service. Sadly, however, its accessibility is questionable when special needs students are involved. Their integration into the classroom and society is difficult at the best of times. In fact living with a handicap makes getting an education even harder for special needs students as they feel left out of social circles and are deprived of basic educational services due to insufficient funding.

1,021 | 4 | 0
by Do234 on May 11, 2015
     Over a year ago, I started volunteering on a monthly basis with Greenpeace, the Phare de Longeuil working with homeless people, and the Santropol Roulant collaborating with elderly and xenophobic people. I always really enjoyed it, but recently, I came to realize that I wanted to engage myself into a greater commitment, something that would maybe not reach a lot of people, but that could have a greater impact on one individual. I wanted to meet and share with someone experiencing a different reality, or at least, more than I was used to.

1,735 | 5 | 2
by kdesrochers on May 11, 2015
As a final project, I decided to volunteer. Volunteering gives a new sense of community involvement and opening one’s mind. I decided to take the knowledge I have obtained from living on my own at a young age to try and help others. Unfortunately, volunteering in today’s society is quite difficult to achieve; emails are sent, phone calls made, messages left, and yet no response. For the previous reasons, I decided to take the knowledge I have obtained from living on my own at a young age to try and help others.

1,093 | 4 | 0
by RimaAlha on May 10, 2015
On March 30 2015, Canada decided to extend its fight against the Islamic state in Syria. This important decision created an ongoing discussion in the Medias about its validity. Several analysts doubt the efficacy of the extension while others believe there is no better alternative. Such an intervention would have many impacts on Canada’s position in the world or on the evolution of the Islamic state in the Middle East.

2,512 | 4 | 0

1 year 1 month ago

Initially, when I read the Meriam-Webster definition of “extremism”, I found that extremism was defined as ideas deviated from what people believe as “correct or reasonable”. This definition suggests that extremism is somewhat erroneous and irrational. This definition cannot be satisfactory to all people because it does clarify the criterion defining correctness and rationality. However, this definition is enough comprehensive to give people an idea of what extremism looks like. To further our understanding of this word, we would need to place this concept in a wider temporal and cultural context. For example, after watching the movie “Facing Extremism”, I understood that extremism, in the 21st century, more particularly suggests ideologies based on racial, religious and gender discrimination which incite hatred, prejudices and violence.

1 year 2 months ago

PTSD is an issue that really needs to be talked about and I am glad that you are bringing it up. Mental health seems to be becoming much less of a taboo as time goes on, but there needs to be more pressure to get adequate research and action. Since you seem to be wanting to focus on governments, it would probably be good to emphasize the previous Canadian government's actions when it came to veteran's affairs. Also, if you want to stick to a strictly Canadian point of view, mentioning well-known people like Roméo Dallaire and Clara Hughes would also be good.

1 year 2 months ago

I think this is a topic that you could certainly shed some more light on. I like that you have a broad and diverse focus and that your research might be able to help find some solutions not only to problems still existing in Rwanda, but in other countries that have been similarly affected. I did a project on that genocide last semester and I have to warn you that it can sometimes be tough to navigate through all of the information as it is a very complex topic. Also, I would just like to mention that it would be better not to use the term ''race'' and that not only Tutsis, but also some moderate Hutus, as well as Twa were affected by thoses events.

Reply to: Art to contribute
1 year 11 months ago

It is a good thing that your passion is linked to your volunteer opportunity. The fact that your love of art and love of animals such as lion are linked will really help and drive you towards your dream and goals. In order to reach more people and awareness about your cause, of course you can use social media to share your artwork and promote your cause or you could get involved in a legal street painting group in order to see your artwork exposed to the eye of everyone. This could have a great impact on your cause and bring more positive results than social media itself.

Reply to: Art to contribute
1 year 11 months ago

1 year 11 months ago

I think your choice of volunteering is one of the most important. First of all, it is important to respect and treat people with disabilities with more attention and care because that’s what they need the most. Also, I also think that it is important to teach them how to become more independent. Finally, I think that using physical activities in order to teach them things that could be useful for them. Another strategy that could be used to help them become more independent and help them learn is by integrating them in the society and the world of work. For instance, at Champlain College, the people who are doing an amazing job cleaning the cafeteria every day are people with a mental handicap. By integrating them, it provides them work experience and makes them reasoning. Also, it makes them feel useful and important.

1 year 11 months ago

I really think it's awesome you took part in this! I feel that the post-2001 world is very anti-muslim, and while I am not religious myself, I believe that judgement related to religion by anyone should be eliminated. Especially in Quebec, where there is a political micro-climate of patriotism, there tends to be more discrimination against cultural minorities, which as a Caucasian really saddens be because I believe that the greatness of Quebec lies in its multiculturalism. Justice Femme really feels like a group that looks out for the best interest of everyone and I can see their importance, especially in the modern world. And honestly, to work more on this issue, I think everyone should make an effort to not tolerate racist behavior and to call it out. It's only by collectively standing up that we will eliminate it.

1 year 11 months ago

I really appreciate the fact that you focused on fitness for your volunteering project, as it is something I wrote a lot about over the past month. There is a definite lack of "good" physical education in the school system in my opinion and working towards encouraging fitness is where we should focus. Being healthy is a lifestyle and we can only achieve the adoption of such a lifestyle by introducing more people earlier to sports. I feel as if the fight for a "fitter" Canada begins with programs such as this. School is such an amazing medium for communicating such information so why not use it to our advantage? If you wanted to continue in this prospect, you could also include some material to educate some people on diet, as it is also a big part of remaining healthy!

1 year 11 months ago

Wow! I am surprised no one else thought of doing something like this. As a student currently living on my own for the first time it was a very hard thing to get use to. When living at home with parents, we often do not realize everything that goes in to actually having a home to stay in. This is the first year that I am living by myself, paying rent and all the other monthly costs that come with it. I learned very early on about the art of budgeting. With minimum wage being somewhere around ten dollars an hour it can be very difficult for students to cover all the costs. It is especially hard when juggling a 6/7/8 course load with all the studying and assignments that can often limit the amount of hours per week that a student can work.

I believe that the educational system in this province needs to do a better job of preparing students in High School of what it is going to be like living on their own. Students are thrown out into society without having concrete knowledge of how to plan a budget and stick to it so that at the end of the month all the expenses are covered. Students are simply expected to learn as they go and that can be a very terrifying experience for the student, and not to mention the debt they could possibly face if they do not look out for their bottom line.

I wish this had been made available when I first moved out; it could have saved me a lot of growing pains as they call them. I hope many students will decide to take advantage of your hard work!

1 year 11 months ago

I would like to start off by commending you on deciding to take part in this as a volunteering opportunity. The ignorance that is seen throughout the world regarding different cultures and religion, especially women Muslims, is absolutely astonishing. It is very easy for people to point fingers and pass the blame onto a certain individual or a certain group of individuals. My personal belief is that people fear what they do not know and a lot of people in North America and throughout the world do not know what the Muslim religion is all about. The fact that they do not know it or do not understand it makes them question it and in order to deal with all these uncertainties and their fear they place responsibility on these groups. I am a firm believer in that in order for people to gain a better understanding and to give a voice to Muslim women is through media and what Justice Femme is doing. I would strongly encourage you to continue this great experience, as the world needs more people like you who are not afraid to stand up and to say that these people need a voice and deserve to be treated better.
This post reminds me of the vicious circle that has existed in society for so long and that is racism. This brings me back to my opinion that we fear what we do not know and do not understand and the only way for some people to cope with that is through making others feel like they do not belong. I firmly believe that what you have done with this group and sharing your experience here with us is an amazing start to something much, much bigger: awareness about this issue. Again, I commend you on a job well done and please do not stop pursuing this issue!

I'm a Humanities Teacher at Champlain College, Saint-Lambert and the designer and founder of Newsactivist. Between 2007 and the present, I've developed a course, Newsactivist, which asked students to blog about the news that they felt showed parts of the world in need of improvement.