Contemporary Issues/NewsActivist 2017: Champlain, Saint-Lambert

About this class

This course requires students to develop individual portfolios about contemporary issues, sharing work with increasing depth as the semester progresses.

Students write and collaobrate to develop cross-disciplinary knowledge and broaden perspectives regarding local, provincial, national, and international news. Assignments encouraging interactions with peers across campuses and borders will build broad understanding of issues in an exciting and personalized manner.

Themes addressed during the semester involve: Journalism, Critical Thinking and Credibility of sources, Personal Voice in writing, impacts on communities of non-profits, NGOs, and socially-conscious businesses, the impact of academic research on communities, and the  possibilities of Collaboration and civic journalism in 2016.

by anthonydm on May 23, 2017
Abstract While renewable energy has often been categorized as revolutionary, it still has many issues. More attention should be awarded to green energy for it to be more widely available, since fossil fuels are dominating the field of energy. This problem gets examined through three different academic articles, teaching us how technology and government policies can drastically change the way renewable energy gets used. While the solution has the possibility to heavily affect the world, it comes with a few challenges.

by SVL on May 18, 2017
Throughout my whole semester in Newsactivism, I had the chance to write about various interesting problems such as the introduction of the travel ban by the Trump’s administration, Kim Kardashian’s slut-shaming story and even made an opinion piece on the fake news. Going in the same direction for my final project, I took the liberty to create a blog tackling different women’s issues like feminism, rape culture and the pressure of being perfect – in other words, issues I am passionate about – instead of writing a research paper or take a volunteer opportunity.

by BR on May 17, 2017
Homophobia is a social issue that starts with the stereotypes drawn by society, and finishes with the inadequate educational system that leaves minority sexualities groups aside. While drawing stereotypes among the population we are every day less capable of the development and understandings of diversity. Homophobia is learned and is spread in a social process, and sadly there is a high degree of ignorance of LGBT reality among students, but also among educators.

by Mila NY on May 16, 2017
This paper will study the roots of human trafficking with the fall of the Soviet Union and the establishment of Newly Independent States. Effective laws have been brought up by analyzing historical, sociological and political contexts. The study will explain that crime has become a huge transnational criminal organization because of economic disparities and the devaluation of women. Studies have shown that laws focusing on the punishment of offenders have been significantly useless at decreasing the crime rate.

by SelassieWurah on May 16, 2017
Before reading this post… please go see this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stRtrCTCnks&feature=youtu.be ... I have been focusing on institutional racism. I have been trying to understand what it is, what would be the solution to it and how can I help the cause.

by thierrycharles21 on May 16, 2017
Enough is enough. We must stop the police to behave like they do, we need a revolution to place things in order and stop police brutality, racial profiling or abuse of power.

by Easy LB on May 16, 2017
Fentanyl is highly popular and Canada’s deadliest drug. For opioid user who first encounter it as a drug to reduce their pain. Friesan study of 1026 reported that Fentanyl is highly avaible because of doctor who prescribe it and user sell it on the black market. It is also mass produced in China where there is no law that regulate it.  Fentanyl is highly lethal because of its potency and can led to respiratory failures according to Nelson. Furthermore, fentanyl is highly destructive for the community because it is sold as less potent drugs which lead to overdoses according to Popova.

by mathewdupere on May 16, 2017
Homelessness and the psychology behind it. Mathew Dupere Newsactivism 360-F1A-LA, section 01831 Gabriel Flacks Final essay 2017/05/07

by SamanthaW on May 16, 2017
I went to my old High School to spend a day talking to secondary four and five students about themselves, and listen. The goal was to engage the students into thinking about what they want to do after High School. College, University, or go work. The reason why I wanted to talk to them is simply, because they are controlled by their teachers and parents. They have schedules from school to follow, and at home, but no time to think of what they want to do or what they really like. I conducted a series of activities for them to work and focus on their skills.

by Naomie Tat on May 16, 2017
When volunteering at the Women’s Center of Montreal, on April 28th, I attended a discussion with 27 people of various age groups, with 23 of them being female, on how to integrate women immigrants into our community. As I have been writing about sexual violence as well as various women’s issues for the past couple of months, attending such a discussion has really helped me open my eyes and truly realize how important those issues are. Those are not light issues which only affect certain people. They are present right now, right here in our community and all around it.

by michelle.bsparkx on May 15, 2017
I volunteered, with my mother for support, at the Banque Scotia 21k de Montréal race, on April 22nd 2017, by handing out race packages and t-shirts to those participating in the race. I specifically put t-shirts in a bag with four safety pins while those in front of me handed the bags, or race packages, to the runners with their bibs. Runners have the chance to participate in the charity challenge after registering for the race and fundraiser for their chosen charity.

by Laura-Camille on May 15, 2017
"We cannot all succeed when half of us are held back." -Malala Yousafzai "The only thing that separates women of color from anyone else is opportunity" -Viola Davis "In my nervousness for this speech and my moments of doubt, I've told myself firmly, 'If not me, who? If not when, how?'" -Emma Watson

by emilyboiteux on May 15, 2017
This my experience of helping the homeless and why our population needs to find a way to end homelessness. During the winter, I had noticed an increasing percentage of homeless people sleeping in relatively public spaces to stay warm. I once even noticed 15 people sleeping on the stairs of the Bonaventure metro station due to the weather outside being so cold. When I looked at those people I was stunned. These people slept in such a way that they looked dead. The people who were sleeping on the floor were young and did not deserve to be living in such horrible conditions.

by AmandaMcc on May 15, 2017
Media has become an integral part of a person’s everyday life. We depend on technology and media for most things, from entertainment to work. However, over the years, media has begun to have a negative impact of its users and viewers. More specifically, a rising issue that is affected people everywhere is exposure to violent media from a young age. Studies have shown how exposure to any sort of violent media, such as video games, movies and television shows, can have several negative impacts on the youth.

by B.Matthews on May 14, 2017
Throughout the whole semester my focus of my work has been surrounding the different aspects of mental health. In order to find new and creative ways to show the truth of mental health issues, I have found 2 sources of current events that have occurred within the last month. In addition, I have decided to challenge myself in creating a blog that discusses the issue of mental illnesses, featured on the site are; TedTalks, places to visit within Canada for help, photography, and much more. I created this blog to illustrate the stigma against mental health problems.

by pascaleworld on May 12, 2017
For the past months, I have written many posts on different issues, but my last focus was on animal welfare.  As a result, I chose to volunteer in order to be even more involved with animals.

BR

5 months 2 days ago

I know it's been a while since this comment has been here but I just wanted to clarify that throughout what is written in my news summary I have only written about what I found in the news article and podcast, not about what I believe should be changed. While I do however agree with what is mentioned in the podcast I do not mention that in my news summary.

Reply to: Bullying kills
5 months 1 week ago

I was compelled to read this post because bullying is a serious topic that needs to be considered as the reason young adolescents are becoming troubled. This is a problem that affects most teenagers around the world. When I was back in high school, I had a lot of friends that were bullied by other members in our grade. The pressures of being "skinny" led them to hurt themselves and them having to be hospitalized. I came across a reason why people tend to bully others, it's because they might have been bullied themselves in the past.

5 months 1 week ago

I found the topic you chose for this piece is very interesting. Being a fellow college student, I understand the pressure that is placed on you as a student to be the best that you can be. The education system forces you to compete with other students to portray the best academic grades you can achieve. Students tend to cheat on exams because of the overall pressures they have to perform and keep their grades up. When I was in high school, during my grade 10 year, there was a grade 11 student who wrote her public speech on the pressures of education. Her speech went on to winning the gold medal in the national public speaking contest. Her speech allowed for us to see the pressure students have to go through to have a higher final grade them our classmates.

5 months 1 week ago

The title of your post caught my attention right away. Great work on introducing this topic and allowing for more people to know more about this topic. Out of all the articles that I've come across, I have not seen any other topics on this issue. Overall, this article was well written and I would love to learn more about this topic.

SVL

5 months 2 weeks ago

I genuinely appreciate your comment and how passionate you are about this subject, but in my defence, I never intended to write an essay or a complete analysis on the issue of "fake news". My goal was to write a news summary explaining the mistake a newspaper did which is why there is only "one proof".

SVL

6 months 6 days ago

Your article hit a nerve with me, in a good way. Your writing shows how passionate you are about your subject and I do love how you start this post with a personal anecdote. It is a nice way to have a little bit background on where you are coming from (what experience made you have this position in this article).

I remember when I was younger, my brother and I were playing at a park when someone started pretending to speak Chinese to us. What do I say? How do I act? How do I pretend this never happen? I was absolutely embarrassed from being put in this sort of position. I, for once, will be the first to admit that for the longest time, I was ashamed of being an Asian. From this point, I started to despise my black hair and wished my eyes were a different color than my current boring brown ones. I hated how the fact you were not “white” made you automatically an outsider. That somehow, you could not understand other people’s problems and issues. I had to remind them we all go through some shit (sorry for the language) no matter what skin color you have or where do you come from. And like you say in your post, it is definitely not okay to make fun of someone else culture and language.

I guess forgetting my origins was easier for me than being proud of it. Now, I need to forget that the shape of my eyes does not define who I am and the snarky comments and insults I get or the frustrated looks from employees says more about them than it says about me. I know who I am and that’s the most important thing. You said you were tired of fighting for Asian people and you are definitely not alone in this one.

Reply to: A bigger nightmare
6 months 6 days ago

Hi BR, I really like how you introduce your points! It is true that too many crimes happened because firearms were too easy of access. There should really be stricter laws to avoid other tragic events like that to occur again. I found that the system is not serious about taking his license for only 3 days after having done something like that. I also think that there is another issue with the system, the rehabilitation of soldiers coming back from war. In psychology, I learned that many soldiers come back with PTSD (Post-traumatic stress disorder) and when there is too much stress they fall into depression or commit crimes as the one you have reported. Crimes like this one are likely to happen when the person is in a flashback state where his senses get distorted and they can no longer make the difference between reality and what is not real. If he had better treatment for this mental issue, I think it would not have happened. Here is an article from a reliable source from a governmental website who explain PTSD and its implication in crimes.
Source: http://www.ptsd.va.gov/professional/co-occurring/research_on_ptsd_and_vi...

6 months 1 week ago

Your news summary does an excellent job at explaining the consequences of the events that happened between the two presidents. The article is also very well summarized as I did not feel that it was repeating itself, boring or long to read. As someone who is also from East Asian ancestry, I completely agree on your standpoint. I always felt that there is always an ongoing competition between the East Asian countries to be number one especially China that hold tightly to its crown. Even back then, the countries never got along and fought war against each other. China, South Korea, Japan and Taiwan all have conflicts between each other. I find it a shame that they never and most likely never will consider to collaborate instead of fighting each other despite coming from the same roots.

BR

6 months 1 week ago

First of all, I would like to say that it was a really good topic to choose. In my opinion the final anecdote gave it the tone of the analysis to your article. Also, I like the organizational pattern and also that you added another case that made it clearer to understand. It is sad to think that this issue is still constantly happening day after day. I can relate to that as well because of my country of origin, Venezuela. When I was younger I used to live there and every time that there was a socio-economical problem people used to manifest with violence. I remember that there were days that we had to stay at home because of the tear gas that was running through the streets. People don’t really know how it feels going through that situation and you explained the feeling very well. I would be more careful when writing as there are some mistakes in your article with the conjugation of verbs and the structure of the sentence. Overall, I think you did a really good job.

I'm a Humanities Teacher at Champlain College, Saint-Lambert and the designer and founder of Newsactivist. Between 2007 and the present, I've developed a course, Newsactivist, which asked students to blog about the news that they felt showed parts of the world in need of improvement.