Contemporary Issues/NewsActivist 2017: Champlain, Saint-Lambert

About this class

This course requires students to develop individual portfolios about contemporary issues, sharing work with increasing depth as the semester progresses.

Students write and collaobrate to develop cross-disciplinary knowledge and broaden perspectives regarding local, provincial, national, and international news. Assignments encouraging interactions with peers across campuses and borders will build broad understanding of issues in an exciting and personalized manner.

Themes addressed during the semester involve: Journalism, Critical Thinking and Credibility of sources, Personal Voice in writing, impacts on communities of non-profits, NGOs, and socially-conscious businesses, the impact of academic research on communities, and the  possibilities of Collaboration and civic journalism in 2016.

by anthonydm on April 3, 2017
There has been a meeting at the World Gas Conference of Paris between the biggest gas and oil companies to discuss about natural gas’ environmental benefits. News summary from an article written on BBC News by Richard Anderson on June 2nd 2015. http://www.bbc.com/news/business-32976210

by mathewdupere on April 3, 2017
Mathew Dupere Homelessness: How is homelessness and mental illness connected?

by Easy LB on April 3, 2017
Fentanyl: 3 articles to explain why there is a rise in opioids abuse

by YosefA on April 3, 2017
Julian Robinson, from Daily Mail online, has published an article about an honor killing case that occurred last month in India. The article mentions a father that killed his daughter with a meat cleaver after finding out that the boyfriend was caught in his house with his daughter alone. After the horrifying murder, the father took the body of his daughter and left on the doorsteps of his daughter’s boyfriend. The father was arrested and will be prosecuted.

by YosefA on April 3, 2017

by BR on April 3, 2017
                                         In the article “Understanding the roots of homophobia around the world” written by Amy Adamczyk she explains how different factors such as money, freedom of speech and religious play a big role in homophobia in different countries. According to Adamczyk, every characteristic in each part of the world influences how people feel about homosexuality. She analyzed 80 nations in the attitudes, values and beliefs in order to explain the roots of homophobia.

by jasminecl on April 3, 2017
Having worked on diverse issues facing children in my previous writings, I have decided to focus on another issue I find should be of greater importance to all: the elderly and how they are treated in society. Indeed, in an article published by Justin McElroy on March 29th, 2017 on the CBC News website called Vancouver Seniors Face Eviction from Retirement Home explains the present situation of elders in Vancouver who were forced to move from their retirement home, Terraces on 7th.

by jasminecl on April 3, 2017

by Mila NY on April 2, 2017
Human Trafficking and Human Rights: Three articles showing the plausible causes and resolutions to the social issue

by AlexeKantchev on April 2, 2017
In 2008, in Alberta, a university created a movement to spread awareness by living in the streets for a week just like homeless people do all year long. The students who do so live with the basic things a homeless person have access to such as a coat, a sleeping bag and maybe blankets. This movement became popular over the years and is now practiced here in Montreal by Concordia’s students. On March 16th, while there was a snowstorm here in Montreal, students decided to do the project anyways and were very happy of the results.

by isabelleallain on April 2, 2017
On March 27th, 2017, CBC News reported through “Privatization of Seniors’ Care Leading to Poorer Quality Service, Think Tank says” that the access to publicly funded senior care in British Columbia, such as homes and community care, is declining over time. Indeed, between 2001 and 2016, home support access experienced a decrease of 30%, whereas residential care with assistance access experienced a decrease of 20%. On the other hand, profit facilities are experiencing a growing demand of 42% from 2011 to 2016 as well.

by michelle.bsparkx on April 2, 2017
The Star article titled “Mental health advocate Amy Bleuel, founder of Project Semicolon, dies” is about, as the title suggests, Amy Bleuel who passed away and the change she has made in the world. The article, written by Alina Bykova and Colby Itkowitz, describes what Project Semicolon was about, features things said by those close to Amy Bleuel and the importance of the project. The article was published very recently, on April 1st 2017.

by pascaleworld on April 2, 2017
The 13th of March, Global News published an article "Penticton woman charged with human cruelty" which exposes a woman who had abused her dogs. One of them was found with only skin on his bones. She will be facing the court on April 26th for making her dogs suffer without any reasons, leading the animals in distress. The article seems reliable as Global News provides many contacts and had published about the same issue before.

by B.Matthews on April 2, 2017
The Star has published an article called “Ban food and drink ads to fight childhood obesity.” This article summarizes a non-profit organization, “The Heart and Stroke Foundation”, talking about a call to action towards the federal government in passing a law that prohibits food and beverage marketing towards children. According to Diego Marchese, interim CEO and executive vice-president of the Heart and Stroke Foundation, Canadian children obesity rates have tripled since 1979 which places them at greater harm to developing heart problems, diabetes in their futures.

by SamanthaW on April 2, 2017
In this article a volunteer by the name Neesha, talks about her experiences as a volunteer teacher in a third world country. She said it would be nice to have some sort of certificate saying that she has volunteered somewhere. She also says, it’s not just about having a certificate, it’s about making young kids smile and making a difference.

by Julia G. on April 2, 2017
         The epidemic of rabies is the negative result caused by dogs that have been abandoned and neglected by careless owners. The newspaper article, "I Want to Kill These Dogs: Question of Whether to Cull Strays Divides Yangon" written by Poppy McPherson and published to The Guardian on January 19, 2017 addresses the concerns of the community in regards to the dangerous stray dogs.

by Naomie Tat on March 31, 2017
Last Thursday, Robin Camp, a Canadian judge who gained popularity last year when he asked a sexual assault victim why she could not just keep her “knees together”, resigned from Federal Court. It was a rare event in the Canadian justice system and was followed by the release of a report from the Judicial Council which demanded him to be fired.

by jasminecl on March 27, 2017
According to the Missing Children Society of Canada, in 2015, 45,288 children were reported missing. These children represent appoximately 1,17% of the Canadian population, and the majority of them are not found until the next count for the following year.

BR

1 month 1 week ago

I know it's been a while since this comment has been here but I just wanted to clarify that throughout what is written in my news summary I have only written about what I found in the news article and podcast, not about what I believe should be changed. While I do however agree with what is mentioned in the podcast I do not mention that in my news summary.

Reply to: Bullying kills
1 month 2 weeks ago

I was compelled to read this post because bullying is a serious topic that needs to be considered as the reason young adolescents are becoming troubled. This is a problem that affects most teenagers around the world. When I was back in high school, I had a lot of friends that were bullied by other members in our grade. The pressures of being "skinny" led them to hurt themselves and them having to be hospitalized. I came across a reason why people tend to bully others, it's because they might have been bullied themselves in the past.

1 month 2 weeks ago

I found the topic you chose for this piece is very interesting. Being a fellow college student, I understand the pressure that is placed on you as a student to be the best that you can be. The education system forces you to compete with other students to portray the best academic grades you can achieve. Students tend to cheat on exams because of the overall pressures they have to perform and keep their grades up. When I was in high school, during my grade 10 year, there was a grade 11 student who wrote her public speech on the pressures of education. Her speech went on to winning the gold medal in the national public speaking contest. Her speech allowed for us to see the pressure students have to go through to have a higher final grade them our classmates.

1 month 2 weeks ago

The title of your post caught my attention right away. Great work on introducing this topic and allowing for more people to know more about this topic. Out of all the articles that I've come across, I have not seen any other topics on this issue. Overall, this article was well written and I would love to learn more about this topic.

SVL

1 month 3 weeks ago

I genuinely appreciate your comment and how passionate you are about this subject, but in my defence, I never intended to write an essay or a complete analysis on the issue of "fake news". My goal was to write a news summary explaining the mistake a newspaper did which is why there is only "one proof".

SVL

2 months 2 weeks ago

Your article hit a nerve with me, in a good way. Your writing shows how passionate you are about your subject and I do love how you start this post with a personal anecdote. It is a nice way to have a little bit background on where you are coming from (what experience made you have this position in this article).

I remember when I was younger, my brother and I were playing at a park when someone started pretending to speak Chinese to us. What do I say? How do I act? How do I pretend this never happen? I was absolutely embarrassed from being put in this sort of position. I, for once, will be the first to admit that for the longest time, I was ashamed of being an Asian. From this point, I started to despise my black hair and wished my eyes were a different color than my current boring brown ones. I hated how the fact you were not “white” made you automatically an outsider. That somehow, you could not understand other people’s problems and issues. I had to remind them we all go through some shit (sorry for the language) no matter what skin color you have or where do you come from. And like you say in your post, it is definitely not okay to make fun of someone else culture and language.

I guess forgetting my origins was easier for me than being proud of it. Now, I need to forget that the shape of my eyes does not define who I am and the snarky comments and insults I get or the frustrated looks from employees says more about them than it says about me. I know who I am and that’s the most important thing. You said you were tired of fighting for Asian people and you are definitely not alone in this one.

Reply to: A bigger nightmare
2 months 2 weeks ago

Hi BR, I really like how you introduce your points! It is true that too many crimes happened because firearms were too easy of access. There should really be stricter laws to avoid other tragic events like that to occur again. I found that the system is not serious about taking his license for only 3 days after having done something like that. I also think that there is another issue with the system, the rehabilitation of soldiers coming back from war. In psychology, I learned that many soldiers come back with PTSD (Post-traumatic stress disorder) and when there is too much stress they fall into depression or commit crimes as the one you have reported. Crimes like this one are likely to happen when the person is in a flashback state where his senses get distorted and they can no longer make the difference between reality and what is not real. If he had better treatment for this mental issue, I think it would not have happened. Here is an article from a reliable source from a governmental website who explain PTSD and its implication in crimes.
Source: http://www.ptsd.va.gov/professional/co-occurring/research_on_ptsd_and_vi...

2 months 2 weeks ago

Your news summary does an excellent job at explaining the consequences of the events that happened between the two presidents. The article is also very well summarized as I did not feel that it was repeating itself, boring or long to read. As someone who is also from East Asian ancestry, I completely agree on your standpoint. I always felt that there is always an ongoing competition between the East Asian countries to be number one especially China that hold tightly to its crown. Even back then, the countries never got along and fought war against each other. China, South Korea, Japan and Taiwan all have conflicts between each other. I find it a shame that they never and most likely never will consider to collaborate instead of fighting each other despite coming from the same roots.

BR

2 months 2 weeks ago

First of all, I would like to say that it was a really good topic to choose. In my opinion the final anecdote gave it the tone of the analysis to your article. Also, I like the organizational pattern and also that you added another case that made it clearer to understand. It is sad to think that this issue is still constantly happening day after day. I can relate to that as well because of my country of origin, Venezuela. When I was younger I used to live there and every time that there was a socio-economical problem people used to manifest with violence. I remember that there were days that we had to stay at home because of the tear gas that was running through the streets. People don’t really know how it feels going through that situation and you explained the feeling very well. I would be more careful when writing as there are some mistakes in your article with the conjugation of verbs and the structure of the sentence. Overall, I think you did a really good job.

I'm a Humanities Teacher at Champlain College, Saint-Lambert and the designer and founder of Newsactivist. Between 2007 and the present, I've developed a course, Newsactivist, which asked students to blog about the news that they felt showed parts of the world in need of improvement.