CMC 243: Radio and Television Writing

About this class

CMC 243 is an introductory course in writing for electronic media, concentrated on radio, TV and Internet news, commercials and public service announcements.With the successful completion of this course, students will have written promotional copy, news copy, advertising copy, and feature copy, in short, a representative sampling of writing styles used and in some cases required by contemporary media industries. This course provides opportunity to collect material for a professional portfolio and to prepare for potential internships and job applications. Extensive time will be spent viewing, writing, re-writing, and listening to copy within the course.

by Tmeade1 on November 20, 2016

For decades, Africans fleeing from their war torn countries have resided in many parts  of India.    As I researched further into Africans living in India, I found out about the ongoing issue of racism.  There have been many short films, and news articles showing how badly Africans living in India are treated.  Some Indians have gone as far as harassing, and  assaulting many African students.   Some of these hate crimes even take place during the day when many people are around. No matter where Africans go, they are discriminated against-and it’s sad.

by bdona11 on November 18, 2016

It was clear to me after reading the comments on my previous blog post that I needed to further develop points on topics that I briefly talked about in my last post. Two commentors told me that it would be a good idea to read the articles that they posted in their comments so that I could further develop my points about the two issues. The two issues that the commentors want me to further develop my point on are Intersectionality and the mommy track. To do this I will use the articles that they provided for me to look at, as well as, one or two that I found myself.

by AJ on November 14, 2016

Most people are very familiar with vaccinations; whether they have children that were vaccinated at birth, they remember themselves vaccinated or someone they know being vaccinated. It is a typical that the majority of people have received vaccines because, this is what we have been taught to be the best practice. There have been many requirements throughout the world, requiring students to be vaccinated to attend school.

by AJ on November 14, 2016

People donate money to different medical foundations in hopes to raise awareness and further research. Many people do this to help ill patients, in memory of someone who they have known that passed from the sickness or to do what they think is a kind act of good heartedness. In recent years, some foundations have been found to be fraudulent. This means that they are advertising for people to donate money to their fictional foundation. Then when donations are made, the money is not going to a foundation but into the con artists’ pockets. Rebecca R.

by hlvolpe on November 6, 2016

In my summary i am going to be talking about a few articles dealing with special education. The more  that I see and read on this issue, I realize how much improvement needs to be made.

There are so many issues with the current system. For instance some reports i read talk about the racism when dealing with students and whose receiving special education services. In some cases

by 22paris on November 4, 2016

“Easy, breezy, beautiful… CoverBoy?” This well-known slogan has been chanted by the many faces of the makeup line, CoverGirl throughout the years. Female actresses, models, singers, etc. have been plastered on various media outlets representing the face of the brand. All of the women with high defined cheekbones, perfectly lined lips, voluminous hair, long eyelashes, and a smile. But, the company has recently decided to break this gender stereotype by signing a new model with a beauty contract. This person is not a celebrity, nor a female.

by dainguyen267 on November 4, 2016

Nowadays, when sexual behaviors are publicly and openly portrayed through television and other electronic media, viewers, specially people in a development period when gender roles, sexual attitudes, and sexual behavior are being shaped, will have a different perception regarding virginity of a woman.  In addition, the movement for gender equality has successfully broken down barriers between women and men. Thus, it leads to a dramatical change in conservative attitudes towards virginity and premarital sex.

by sconti on November 4, 2016

I've read a lot of women powering articles. I've heard about them on the news. It's a topic that might not ever die out. Why? Because it's a topic that changes as the decades go on. As a women, myself, I have great respect for women who have originated, founded, governed, prophesied, created great art, fought for our rights, and for ourselves. These are the type of women we all need to be like. We need to make our own stories and prove that we are equal to men.

by 22paris on November 4, 2016

What exactly comes to mind when you hear the words and phrases: “Think outside the box,” “hero,” “let’s explore” and “desert adventure awaits?” Most would answer that question with words such as, daring, creative, courageous, etc. These phrases were displayed boldly on t-shirts within the boys’ section of a clothing store, symbolizing the world’s image of the stereotypical boy. An eight year old girl from the U.K. realized something was wrong when she traveled from that section of clothing to the girls’.

by Ashepherd on November 4, 2016

The number of heroin overdoses have been rising quickly over the last few months. In Erie County, NY there were almost 600 opiate overdose deaths by April of 2016 this includes heroin and prescription opiates such as morphine, oxycodone, and methadone. There was 39% increase in heroin related deaths in 2012-2013. This number has continued to rise; Opiate overdoses have doubled in the last year all over the country. Officials are saying that the country is facing a heroin epidemic.

SUNY Brockport
by ncori1 on November 17, 2016
Invasive Species Radio Script  Niko: Hey this is Niko coming to you from Brockport NY to bring you a special news story. Niko: Many people don’t know about the controversial topic of invasive species. Niko: Now for the people who don’t know what an invasive species is; it’s basically a species that has been introduced in a place separate from its natural habitat through humans. Niko: Here in New York there is a legal penalty for chopping down an ash tree. But why is that?

SUNY Brockport
by NewsCowboy43 on November 3, 2016
James Yaw CMC 243-61 Radio TV Writing   James: Live from NPR news in Washington I’m James Yaw. Air quality is becoming a global issue, as a recent report by Canadian news has found that China tops the World Health Organization’s list for deadliest outdoor air pollution with a shocking 1 million deaths last year, which accounts for one-third of total deaths worldwide. William Clarke, biology major at Guelph University, has more.

SUNY Brockport
by gshep on November 2, 2016
SOUND: THUNDER STRIKE WITH RAIN APPROACHING. ESTABLISH AND FADE UNDER   ANNCR:

SUNY Brockport
by leochai219 on November 2, 2016
Ocean Acidification (Intro Music: 30 sec long) Leo:  Hey guys, my name is Leo Chai, host of Nature’s Radio Podcast and       today we will be having a special guest.  Harriet Minc, a biology student from Guelph University,  who is here to answer questions about her research on Ocean      Acidification.           Harriet:            Hi, great to be here today           Leo: Alright, nice to have you here.

Teacher

6 months 2 weeks ago

Hey hlvolpe,

I thought your post was really intersting. As someone who has dealt with the special education school system in Ontario, I feel that you did a good job of outlining its shortcomings. Personally, I found that I wasn't engaged enough in many of my classes during primary and secondary school and so ended up being labeled a problematic student by teachers due to my acting out. This was unfortunate to say the least. Anyway, I really enjoyed reading about this as it has affected me personally. Great Job!!!

Thanks,

NewsBot

6 months 2 weeks ago

Good Post AJ,

I thought this was really interesting and that you did a great job of outlining the issue. I thought that you had a good use of descripitive language and that you're writing style really helped to grab the readers attention. I thought you were very informative in your discussion regarding the risks of vaccinating versus not vaccinating. I think that I would definitely vaccinate my child.

Cheers,

Newsbot

6 months 2 weeks ago

Hey gymkata98,

I’m not offended by your comment, but I want to unpack some of your arguments. It sounds to me like the training here is the issue, not your fiancée’s capabilities. She hasn’t been trained to deal with cases where she will be physically weaker than an attacker, and that’s a shortcoming of the police force training rather than an inherent weakness. By compromising the reality of drills like her Defense Tactics test, she’s certainly not getting the skills she needs to deal with these situations when they arise on the job. Unfortunately, you seem to see this as a woman problem and not a training problem.

You said you have 7 years of martial arts training and a year of Jujitsu - if you took a random man off the street and went through the same drills you went through with your fiancée, I think it’s unlikely that man would be able to overpower you either. You simply have better training honed through practice. When she was on her first call, and the male cop with her was able to subdue a 19 year old man, do you really think that 19 year old was on the same level of skill as the male cop? No, the cop has better training and because training in the police force was tailored towards men, he was able to get a favourable outcome.

Applying cookie cutter techniques to training, especially in a dangerous profession like the police force, is a recipe for injuries and death for those trained improperly. I absolutely agree that police officers should have partners at all times, but women should especially be trained for situations where they will be patrolling alone and have to defend themselves.

Your fiancée said that if she had been alone or with another woman on patrol, the situation would have been handled differently. This is not necessarily a bad thing as you seem so eager to jump to – studies have shown (https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2015/07/02/how-more-fem...) that women are better at de-escalating situations before they turn violent. If the rate of police deaths by gunfire is increasing, would it not be better to have cops who are able to prevent violent situations from happening, as well as deal with them effectively?

6 months 2 weeks ago

I must just start off to say your title was very engaging and humorous. You were great to analyze the authors one sided perspective of the issue. The author definitely focused on the economic downside of phasing out coal but left out important information such as the government subsidies. You explained that Canada should focus more on green energy. Do you have an preferred type of sustainable energy? I invite you to read my recent post about Tesla’s Solar panels. I have learned about the negatives of damming and nuclear so I was curious to what your thoughts might be? I thoroughly enjoyed your post though. The media can definitely report on anything to get publicity. As a population we should be moving forward and not focus on the criticism of doing so.

Link:

6 months 2 weeks ago

I really enjoyed your insightful perspective of the pros and cons of deforestation. I enjoyed the interesting facts of natural causes of deforestation such as the largest wildfire and mentioning the wildlife eating the seeds. You really touched on a relevant issue by talking about global warming. Trees both absorb and store carbon dioxide when growing but also release carbon dioxide when dying, decomposing or burning. It would be insightful to know the percentage of emissions caused from lumber and paper industry. I think that paper won’t be required in next decade as we going deeper into the digital age. Given that Canada is a staple country for lumber, do you think Canada should slow its industry?

Reply to: Heroin Epidemic
6 months 3 weeks ago

Ashepherd,

Your post stood out to me and was very informative with respect to the current epidemic that is opiate abuse. The examples you used helped to show the scary reality of what drug abuse can do to someone. As you mentioned, opiates come in many forms, currently in my hometown of Niagara Falls (CA) fentanyl use has become a growing concern as it is easier to access.

An article that I've attached below illustrates the increasing use of alternative forms of opiates like fentanyl, as more common ones like oxycodone become more heavily regulated. In 2010, the Ontario provincial government replaced the oxycodone pill with a more tamper-resistant form. This caused a shockwave to addicts who were forced to shift to other forms of drugs in order to fulfill their need, and as a result fentanyl has emerged a cheaper alternative. Ironically, data shows that since 2010, fentanyl related deaths have nearly doubled from 86 in 2010, to 165 in 2015.

The concept of addiction needs to be viewed as an illness or disease rather than a negative disposition towards that individual person. Many addicts are people who have endured multiple setbacks in their lives and as a result are unable to cope with the burdens that every day life can have. The problem is that access to most of these drugs is a lot easier and cheaper than heroin or oxycodone. Limiting access to one specific type of drug is not the answer, addicts will undoubtedly find other ways to abuse. There should be more governmental control over the distribution of these drugs and access should not be as easy.

6 months 3 weeks ago

Hello,

The caption of your post seemed like an interesting read to me. You provide some very compelling evidence that details how overfishing and inadequate management policies are disrupting marine ecosystems. I agree that human intervention is the leading cause of the decline of fish stocks that we see worldwide as there is overwhelming evidence. Previous examples like the collapse of northern cod in Newfoundland (1992) should be used as a lesson to affirm the notion that strict management policies be implemented and directly followed by governments and industries. Although, I was hoping to learn more about how 'eco-labelling' can help the transition into more sustainable management decisions. In my opinion, eco-labelling is a good way to inform consumers of where and how their product was produced so that they can make educated decisions when deciding what to purchase. However, this does not address the problems of overfishing, illegal fishing and other issues that we still see today. Governments should be more accountable for these types of problems because they are the one's who control the industries. Similarly, the fishing industry must also be held accountable for certain practices they use as well as their level of ignorance with regards to sustainable forms of extracting fish. In the end, I think using eco-labels does provide a good way to inform consumers, but I believe the root of the problem lies primarily on those who exploit this resource and those who are in charge of applying sustainable management decisions.

6 months 3 weeks ago

Great post!

Gravel to green is a really interesting concept that aims to not really improve mental health, but the environment too. I think this would also be a great opportunity to plant more trees as well. By adding more green areas in urban environments as well as planting more trees will help reduce environmental impacts. Planting trees is a way to help offset carbon emissions, and by having this done more in urban areas could also help people to beware of the important role trees play. Overall I think it is a great idea, however I also think it is important to have the green spaces strategically placed within urban areas, for example a place where it can be easily reached, but does not impose on other necessary city elements. In launching this concept in many different areas could also allow for people to become more invested in environment and the struggles it is facing due to urban expansion

6 months 3 weeks ago

Great post Breanne,

I strongly agree with your post. I don’t think Canada has made at all the commitments to climate change as they should, but instead place a higher significant towards economic growth. This is especially problematic as the impacts on climate change continue to grow and the Canadian government still hasn't committed to making a leap of change. I agree that Canada’s reliance on fossil fuels is problematic in terms of introducing new more reliable energy sources. It seems that the Canadian government has other priories over the environment, as they don’t seem concerned about the potential impacts. I’m wondering what it will take for the government to finally make climate change a priority, I fear it won’t be until the impacts of climate change worsen. From an environmental standpoint, it makes more sense to help resolve issues before they worsen, however it doesn’t seem to take priority in the government over economic growth.

6 months 3 weeks ago

Hi AJ!

Thanks for your post, it was an interesting read! I think you touch upon a pressing issue being the vaccinations of children. It is extremely important for parents to vaccinate their children when they are newborns. Those who believe in homeopathy and Scientology have in some instances believed that their children do not need vaccinations, which has led to the death of the child and charges being pressed against the parents.

It is so critical that we are aware of the breakthroughs in science and what are considered to be the norms as far as healthcare and health of children and adults. There are just some things that can't be toyed with, as it's not worth a life.

Thanks for your input, let me know what you think :)

Davis

SUNY Genesee Community Colllege

University of Guelph

• Management of the Biophysical Environment - 2016

This course examines the role of the state in environmental issues. We examine the rationales, challenges and pitfalls inherent in state-led resource management. Students will be blogging on media coverage of important environmental issues throughout the course of the semester.

I am an Senior Instructional Designer working in the Center for Excellence in Learning and Teaching at the College at Brockport, State University of New York. I also am an adjunct faculty member, teaching in both the Communications and Education Department.

Institution