What is the Exact Cause of Homelessness?
by cleon1 on March 17, 2014 - 11:53am
Intro to Sociology
What Exactly Is the Cause of Homelessness?
In the article, Community-Level Characteristics Associated With Variation in Rates of Homelessness Among Families and Single Adults, the authors discuss and compare the amount of homelessness between families and single adults. The article starts with statistics that puts in perspective for readers what the homelessness life is like. For example, in 2012 single adults were accounted for 62 percent of the total number of homeless people in the United States. On the other hand, homeless families accounted for the rest of the population, which was 38 percent. Researchers have come to a conclusion that the causes of homelessness can vary. Homeless single adults were found that they become homeless because of homicide rates, drug use, income payees, and Medicaid spending. Homeless families were found to become homeless more likely because of housing issues, unemployment, and also religious factors such as births to single mothers and parental care. As a result of the increasing in homelessness over the years, one of the methods that our country used was the US Department of Housing and Urban Development. This organization helped the homelessness with both unsheltered and sheltered situations.
In my opinion, more efforts to prevent homelessness should be taken about. No one realizes how good they have it until they walk out into the real world and see how living is for many others around the country. The major issue is that no one really cares about others, as long as their life is going as well as they hope. There is a hand full of individuals that would do as much as they could to give someone the life they have. Whether it is a whole family or a single adult, a change should be taken to help avoid the rate of homelessness from increasing even more than it already has within the past years.
Fargo D., Munley A., Byrne H., Montgomery E., Culhane P., (2013, September 2). Community-Level Characteristics Associated With Variation in Rates of Homelessness Among Families and Single Adults, Research and Practice, Supplement 2 vol. 103