Looking at body image through different disciples
by B.Matthews on March 24, 2017 - 9:55am
Positive body Image gives the right to both male and female to appreciate their appearances and is content with their bodies. Whereas people who suffer from negative body image treat their appearances to not be adequate enough for society, mass media or themselves. The three important idioms to look into body image are; public health, psychology and child/adolescent psychiatry. These three topics which will be later discussed are important to the subject of body image.
The University of McGill defines public health as a program that allows individuals to evaluate the health of the population as a whole while participating in both public and private institutions. Gaining your Masters in Public Health (MScPH) allows for one to study in fields as broad as health and medicine. When choosing the public health program, there are specialization pathways one could choose, which include, epidemiology, nursing, nursing with nurse practitioner electives, gerontology and indigenous and northern health.
Moreover, another important domain that has a positive effect on how we interpret body image is the study of psychology. According to Concordia University, psychology is a study that focuses on a person’s behavior and cognitive development (both animal and human) while considering numerous conditions.
Furthermore, this program specializes in three sub- categories under the field of psychiatry; child and adolescent, forensic and Geriatric Psychiatry. The study of child and adolescent psychiatry from the University of Toronto is a program that allows students to practice specializing, diagnosing and treating disorders based upon a child and adolescents behavior.
To conclude, these three disciplines, as well as many others, characterize different ways to promote positive body image to men and women around the globe. Research has been shown that even though women are greatly affected more to body image issues men are just as likely to show certain characteristics.
To articles relation to body image:
Other universities with a program a public health:
- University of British Columbia: https://www.grad.ubc.ca/prospective-students/graduate-degree-programs/master-of public-health
- University of McGill: https://www.mcgill.ca/epi-biostat-occh/academic-programs/grad/mscph
- Lake head University: https://www.lakeheadu.ca/academics/graduate/programs/masters/public-health/node/7256
- University of Saskatchewan: https://www.usask.ca/sph/
Other universities with a Psychology program:
- Concordia University: www.concordia.ca/academics/undergraduate/psychology.html
- McGill University: https://www.mcgill.ca/psychology/undergraduate
- University of Ottawa: https://socialsciences.uottawa.ca/psychology/programs
Certain universities with a program in child and adolescent psychiatry:
- University of Toronto: www.psychiatry.utoronto.ca/education/subspecialties
- University of Manitoba: http://umanitoba.ca/faculties/health_sciences/medicine/units/psychiatry/programs/child_adolescent.html
- University of Toronto: http://www.psychiatry.utoronto.ca/education/subspecialties/